cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Unplotting tool

AlvaroDíaz
9-Granite

Unplotting tool

A tool for pick values from a scanned printed graph.

Regards. Alvaro.
10 REPLIES 10
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

Based on another topic, I contacted the author of Tracer (freeware). The program is at version 1.71. If anyone is interested, I will be glad to e-mail it to them since we should not post exe or zip files
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

Although I probably won't use it, since I picked up a cheap cop of UnScanIt a few years ago, that's a nice example of what you can do with components.

Richard
ecard
1-Newbie
(To:RichardJ)

Very nice, Alvaro!

On 1/19/2010 5:00:04 PM, edcard wrote:
>Very nice, Alvaro!

Interesting but lot many instructions are missing, like empty the data vector. UnScanIt, I have tried = gorgeous ! TRACER (the latest version in reference) = extraordinary. The Mathsoft digitizer = does it all for me.
For many applications, Valery digitizer is !!!

Regards, most appreciated.

jmG

On 1/19/2010 8:07:58 PM, jmG wrote:

>Interesting but lot many instructions
>are missing, like empty the data vector.

With one Alt+Click can delete the last entry. With many Alt+Click's can delete all the vector data. I assume that it is the empty procedure. To avoid script error messages the vector always have at least 2 values, for 2 knowing values in the plot (for scalling both axis) use Ctrl+Click and Alt+Click to set they.

Regards. Alvaro.

On 1/19/2010 8:07:58 PM, jmG wrote:

>Interesting but lot many instructions
>are missing, like empty the data vector.

On 1/20/2010 10:49:05 AM, adiaz wrote:

With one Alt+Click can delete the last entry. With many Alt+Click's can delete all the vector data. I assume that it is the empty procedure. To avoid script error messages the vector always have at least 2 values, for 2 knowing values in the plot (for scaling both axis) use Ctrl+Click and Alt+Click to set they.

Regards. Alvaro.

Interesting vis the scripted component.

Otherwise, TRACER 1.71 (freeware) is immediately usable with pixel accuracy, and recommended for fast data collection. For more difficult digitizing, preparation via image processing may be needed, that applies to any digitizer.

jmG

TRACER 1.71 is a big tool, and works fine for a lot of useful printed plots and diagrams. Both, manual and automatic modes are very well implemented, and the routines for interpolation are a remarkable work.

The worksheet that I present have at least three adventages:

- Is a normal mathcad worksheet, nothing external is called. Only needs enable the script, which is actually a mathcad button component.

- After doing the job you can save your work, or print the interpolation as report. The worksheet is designed in such way that when the collected data is pasted in the green region (matrix R) you don't lost nothing. Maybe hwo have script security set as 'Low' (under Tools/Preferences menu) don't see that, and needs to disable manually the component (or use a copy with this component disable): opening the saved worksheet shows the two plots taking the values from R into the green region. This provide a fast way to document the work and could be very usefull for enterprises that want to substitute manual by automated calculations in their procedures. Deleting instructions and comments can reduce the report to two pages, and only one if collapse the calculus regions and the first plot into an area.

- Easy to implement log-log plots. For semilog plots, define two functions, one for each axis. Not presented as that only because I think that for introduction is more clear, and the modification is obvious.

About the work need for both, TRACER and this ws, I think that it is the same; for example TRACER also needs scale values (don't read into the axis to know actual values, user must to provide them).

Regards. Alvaro.

On 1/21/2010 12:40:06 AM, adiaz wrote:
>TRACER 1.71 is a big tool, and
>works fine for a lot of useful
>printed plots and diagrams.
>Both, manual and automatic
>modes are very well
>implemented, and the routines
>for interpolation are a
>remarkable work.
> ...
>Regards. Alvaro.

Then why another same or "worse same" ?

You have several points that may end to full collaboration.

1. In TRACER , you set the data range from the menu.
2. Select the data and paste directly to a Mathcad input table.
3. Microsoft has mentioned that scripted components may not all work from version to version.

I would reject using a trace tracking directly in a single Mathcad work sheet for safety reasons. Serious work need be proofed for a complete and separate traceability. Plots are not all that simple and unique as the demo in context. Go few steps ahead and embed a code to delete the clicking session, for instance [Ctrl]+[Alt] F12 (per say).

The zoom cross hair in TRACER makes all its mighty power !
Unless you recode TRACER completely as a scripted component, I can't see how you can make a "Mathcad TRACER". Doing so would end as reverse Engineering and not legal (most probably), and might be deleted by the webmaster, unless PTC would obtain a licence for future Mathcad versions. But this collab is seemingly not the property of of PTC ?

Will read your next version after more collabs have read and confirmed safe from viruses, as per our long discussion some time ago. A *.DLL would be much better in lieu of the scripted component, same applies to a lot of the features on the "wish list".

jmG

On 1/21/2010 9:10:29 AM, jmG wrote:

>You have several points that may end to
>full collaboration.
>
>1. In TRACER , you set the data range
>from the menu.

Here, don't need searching in the menu where, it is in the worksheet. Values are showed for printing, and not remain hidden.

>2. Select the data and paste directly
>to a Mathcad input table.

That's your preference, not mine.

>3. Microsoft has mentioned that scripted
>components may not all work from version
>to version.

I check the component in mathcad 14 before posting. Even I don't know this opinion from Microsoft can't why this a point where " that may end to full collaboration " as you say.

>I would reject using a trace tracking
>directly in a single Mathcad work sheet
>for safety reasons. Serious work need be
>proofed for a complete and separate
>traceability. Plots are not all that
>simple and unique as the demo in
>context. Go few steps ahead and embed a
>code to delete the clicking session, for
>instance [Ctrl]+[Alt] F12 (per say).

There are a lot of things that can be added to the component but I think that if the user don't need they are only for make the code obscure and long. There are a 'further development' section at the end where some few ideas are writing.

>The zoom cross hair in TRACER makes all
>its mighty power !

With a microsoft component you can change the cursor face. It is question only of changing the source.

>Unless you recode TRACER completely as a
>scripted component, I can't see how you
>can make a "Mathcad TRACER".

You can't, maybe others can. And I recode nothing, the code in basic is short, simple and robust. Only use the standard mathcad features for the component, documented in the developer center help, implemented in direct way, without calling nothing that are not usual for this kind of applications.

>Doing so
>would end as reverse Engineering and not
>legal (most probably), and might be
>deleted by the webmaster, unless PTC
>would obtain a licence for future
>Mathcad versions. But this collab is
>seemingly not the property of of PTC ?

But because I don't need to recode nothing I will never to do reverse engineering with the tracer tool.

>Will read your next version after more
>collabs have read and confirmed safe
>from viruses, as per our long discussion
>some time ago.

The procedure to do the component is described in the worksheet, so can be duplicated for any reader without running the attached work.

>A *.DLL would be much
>better in lieu of the scripted
>component, same applies to a lot of the
>features on the "wish list".

Hard to make changes in a user dll, include if source code is provide.

Regards. Alvaro.

>A *.DLL would be much
>better in lieu of the scripted
>component . [jmG]

>Hard to make changes in a user dll,
> .... [Alvaro]

Make an *.DLL doing all what TRACER does.
I will try after other collabs will take the plunge.

jmG
Top Tags