cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Adding a 40 deg draft to extruded text

SteveVarieur
4-Participant

Adding a 40 deg draft to extruded text

I'm tring to add a 40 deg draft around extruded text. I was able to add a 30 deg draft by picking all the side surfaces of the extruded text, but it won't let me increase the draft to 40 deg. I found a tip on the user group to add a datum planat an angleand use the datum as the hinge planethen control the addtional draft with the datum. This seems to work with a single surface, butnot with multiple surfaces.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

30 degrees is the limit for the draft feature. I think if you want
more, you're going to have to use a series of Variable Section Sweeps,
which will get very tedious and may not work due to tangency issues.

Another option might e to use the offset tool with the expanded with
draft option in a sketched region. You'd put your text in the sketch.
Not sure the limits of the draft angle in that case.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Anybody know why there is a limit to the draft angle? Like Steve, I often require a draft of maybe 45° but have to spend a lot of time sweeping to achieve this. I can understand a draft failing after swallowed surfaces as the rounds do but why is there this arbitrary limit?

Another option would be to use a blend feature: sketch the text outline at
the root, and use that sketch as one profile, and then use it to sketch,
offset by .017" x 40 x the height of the protrusion, the top of the text.

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
178 Muddy Creek Church Rd
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<">mailto:-> -
<">http://www.mgsincorporated.com>

Hey, be thankful, I think it used to be 15 degrees. 😄

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

One technique we have used around here is to create a plane on the edge of the shape you are drafting that is angled 15 or so degrees. Use this as your pull direction and you get 30 degrees on top of the 15. If you bump the plane to 20°, you get 50°. It’s a cool way to cheat the draft limit.

Personally, I prefer the offset tool as Doug suggested (Max 60°). To use it with offset text, create an external sketch first and reference the letter curves in the internal sketch of the offset feature.

Either way, you’re using outside features to build another, documenting this will be helpful for the next person.

Best wishes,
Jered

A chamfer can sometimes work.     

Doug Schaefer wrote:@font-face { font-family: Tahoma; } @font-face { font-family: Frutiger 45 Light; } @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } A:visited { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } P { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto } SPAN.EmailStyle18 { COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal-reply } DIV.Section1 { page: Section1 }Hey,be thankful, I think it used to be 15 degrees. 😄     
Doug Schaefer     
Top Tags