cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Another launch from server issue

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Another launch from server issue

I just solved a strange one.

A user in another building was trying to launch ProE from our server and it was taking 15 minutes to startup. I went over there and she had a T7400. The network card is capable of a gigabit. Problem was it was only connecting at 10mbps. We called the network guy down and he determined that it was a gigabit to the port on the wall. So we tried a different cable. Still only 10mbps.

I figured some setting on the computer was limiting it to 10mbps. So I google the problem. I did find on Dell's web site this criptic statement about the built in card.

network adapter connector

To attach your computer to a network or broadband device, connect one end of a network cable to either a network jack or your network or broadband device. Connect the other end of the network cable to the network adapter connector on your computer. A click indicates that the network cable has been securely attached.
Do not plug a telephone cable into the network connector.
On computers with an additional network connector card, use the connectors on the card and on the back of the computer when setting up multiple network connections (such as a separate intra- and extranet).
It is recommended that you use Category 5 wiring and connectors for your network. If you must use Category 3 wiring, force the network speed to 10 Mbps to ensure reliable operation.

Which confirmed that there is a setting for this.

If wasn't until I search for how to limit the network card to 10mbps that I found out how.
Turned out the machine was set to 10mbps half duplex. What the @%^#*! Who did that?

To change it you go to Manage my Computer, Divice Manager, Network Adapters, and select properties on the network card in question. Pick the Advanced tab and pick on Speed & Duplex. It should be set to Auto. It was set to 10Mb Half.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags