cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Area moment inertia, curved, non-straight beam

coredaus
2-Guest

Area moment inertia, curved, non-straight beam

Trying to determine the bending stiffness (2nd moment of area, or section modulus, etc) for this non-straight beam.  Part is basically a corrugated piece of sheet metal.

cd_iso.jpg

Interested in stiffness when part is loaded a la:

cd_fbd.jpg

More precisely, I want to determine how the stiffness varies with changes in dimension "D".

cd_sketch.jpg

I suppose I could run a bunch of simple mechanica/Simulate analyses, while varying dimension "D", then extrapolate the correlation between stiffness and "D".  This might suffice in the end...  However I'm wondering if anyone has insight into a more direct (analytical, symbolic) approach

Any ideas on how to figure this out would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

My initial simplification would be that the compliance (= 1/stiffness) increases in proportion to the total length of the sheet metal - a bit like a clock spring.  This may not be exact, as the bending moment varies linearly along the 71" and not along the 'developed' length of the sheet, but it should give a good first indication.

Top Tags