cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Axes in Inheritance Features

PeterBrown
1-Newbie

Axes in Inheritance Features

Okay, I've never seen this before and I've been using Pro for a decade. I'm a little rusty, but still....

I have a drawing of a casting, whose model is made with an Inheritance Feature and a few offsets. The part is roughly cylindrical, and when I try to dimension to any shown axis and then an edge I get "Please Select From The Same Model", and the dimension is not created. Now, as much as I can tell, the axis IS from the same model. I used to make a lot of drawings with Inheritance features and never had this issue. I just cannot do Insert>Dimension>New Refs and select an axis. I can dimension axis-to-axis and edge-to-edge but not axis-to-edge.

Any idea what is happening here? This is on any drawing I create with an Inhertance.

TIA

ps.I searched the "Knowledge Base" (ha!) and entered the exact phrase "please select from the same model" and got no hits. Nice job, PTC.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:PeterBrown)

Mr Peter Brown,

Please don't go slamming PTC about this. If you want to slam them about
anything, slam them about how they have offshored their technical support.

Your problem seems to be pretty easy. I think that you "may" have overlooked
your model's features. You are quite obviously trying to select features
that are from 2 different models. Apparently this is the result of a merged
assembly of some sort. When you mentioned "inheritance features" I kind of
got the impression that you might be working with an assembly.

Here is what I would do. GO BACK TO THE SKETCHER!!!! If you want to do Pro/E
correctly the bulk of your dimensions should come from your model. You can,
however create FAKE dimensions when you cannot develop them any other way.
Find the right sketch plane and work this dimension in as part of a sketched
feature. Once it is in your model you can SHOW it. This is the way that
Pro/E is supposed to be used.

If you still have troubles go back to your inheritance feature and
interrogate that.

Michael P. Locascio

Normally, I would think it would be easy as well except that this is not coming from two different models. I modeled a part, started a new part, added an Inheritance feature, selected the previous part as the source and then added some offsets for stock. No assembly was used and this has never been a problem in the past. Additionally, I cannot even select the displayed axes for a dimension as the first reference - it pre-highlights and then when I select it, it just de-selects immediately.

As an aside, PTC deserves to be slammed for the "Knowledge Base" as it is functionally useless, especially to search. All the content may be there, but if I can't find it - why bother building it? That I cannot get any information from an actual, quoted error message is a disgrace.

Hi all,

Our lovely IT dept just pushed out Symantic Endpoint Virus Protectin and it seems to be crippling ProE. Anyone know anything about this product or have any experience with it?

Thanks,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I don;t have specific knowledge about the Symantec product you mention, but I will say I stopped using Symantec/Norton AV products years ago, because they slowed my machines down so badly in general.

I have been using AVG AV products with success with ProE and other apps for many years without trouble.

Best regards Jeff Dayman
Top Tags