cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Cannot sort BOM - temp_fmt.txt missing

mholst
7-Bedrock

Cannot sort BOM - temp_fmt.txt missing

Hi All

I have made a drawing of an assembly and added table and BOM balloons but I want to change the order of the index numbers. To do this I use "Repeat Regions > Sort Reion > Edit" and this is where my problems occurs: As soon as I click on "Edit" a DOS promt open and my notepad opens an empty sheet and promts a warning saying "The file temp_fmt.txt was not found. Would you like to create a new?"

What is this temp_fmt.txt, where should it be located, what should be in it and can it be recreated?

I have made a search for the file on my HDD with no results 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@mholst wrote:

Hi All

I have made a drawing of an assembly and added table and BOM balloons but I want to change the order of the index numbers. To do this I use "Repeat Regions > Sort Reion > Edit" and this is where my problems occurs: As soon as I click on "Edit" a DOS promt open and my notepad opens an empty sheet and promts a warning saying "The file temp_fmt.txt was not found. Would you like to create a new?"

What is this temp_fmt.txt, where should it be located, what should be in it and can it be recreated?

Hi,

I tested your problem in Creo 5.0.5.0.

temp_fmt.txt file was created in current working directory, no error message displayed.

I think that you do not have write access to current working directory.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@mholst wrote:

Hi All

Hi,

I tested your problem in Creo 5.0.5.0.

temp_fmt.txt file was created in current working directory, no error message displayed.

I think that you do not have write access to current working directory.

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin

I think you are correct. This has led to some issues earlier with different features in Creo. I use 6.0.2.0 but I think the version is not important in this matter.

I will see what I can do with my administrator rights and discuss the issue with THE BOSS 🙂

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mholst)

Are you using a local install or a network install of Creo?

On your desktop icon, be sure the Start In location is one that YOU have access to for read/write.

We create a c:\PTC_USER|<username> folder and set that for the Start In. This is used for both local and network installs of Creo. This will insure you can create the temporary files that Creo needs.

I am using a local install (C:\Program files\PTC\Creo...) but all licence and part files are located on the network. However the problem was the write acces to the folder and a move to C:\PTC\Creo... solved the issue. It also solved some other issues as my config.pro and detail.dtl and other setup files was without write access.

For some reason even though I have an administrator account and I can read/write to C:\Program files\... from explorer I cannot write to C:\Program files\... from Creo

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mholst)

Creo install folders should NEVER be used for your start in location. PTC makes those subfolders Read-only, so even admin rights will not allow you to read to them.

Using the C:\PTC\Creo for your start in is the best way to solve this.

As for the other files, move them from the install location to a network shared location for all users. Work with IT to make it read-only to everyone except Creo admins, if needed.

Thanks.

I am working at a 7 people company and only 3 of us are Creo users. We have no IT department but have a subscription to a Creo support company in Denmark. However they were not involved in the installation of Creo when I recieved a new laptop last December. This was done by the local IT company who delivered the laptop and we learned not to do it this way another time 🙂

Top Tags