cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Change the sketch plane in a model without breaking annotations

AK_11362522
4-Participant

Change the sketch plane in a model without breaking annotations

Using Creo 10.0.2.0 Commercial license

After I completed a model and associated drawing, we had a small issue. I oriented the model wrong.

I based my sketch in the "Top" plane when I should have based it in the "Front" plane. That would make it line up better in the final assembly. I know it's not a big deal to rotate it in the assembly, but it would be "nice" to just have it fit correctly in the system without rotating.

I figured out I could get the orientation I needed by right-clicking the sketch and selecting references. I then switched Top with Front, Right with Top, then Front with Right to get the actual orientation I needed. Great, the model itself was exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately, as one might expect, this completely broke all of my annotated dimensions.

I tried to reassign the planes for the annotations, but it didn't work.

I then regenerated the original model and tried just switching Top and Front, leaving right alone. I thought maybe if I only swapped those references maybe then I could reassign the annotation planes easily, but it still didn't work.

Like I said it would be "nice" to have the orientation match the assembly. But "nice" is not worth redoing every annotation in the model. Does anyone know a way to have the annotations move along with the sketch when you reassign the sketch reference planes? 

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @AK_11362522,

Thank you for your question!

Your post appears well documented but has not yet received any response. I am replying to raise awareness. Hopefully, another community member will be able to help.
Also, feel free to add any additional information you think might be relevant. It sometimes helps to have screenshots to better understand what you are trying to do.

Thank you for your participation!

Catalina
PTC Community Moderator

I don't think there is a nice way. Especially if you have a lot of features.

A possible work around that is (sometimes) less work, is to rename your base planes and redefine your coordinate system and your views.

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:whulshof)

I remember when I was doing some work for a large agricultural manufacturer, they wanted all of the parts to default into place in the assembly.  They had a program, that could be used to redefine the part/subassembly to move and reorient the model to meet that requirement.  Sadly, I don't have access to that anymore.  Not sure if it would accomplish all that you are needing.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags