cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Changing GTOL secondary unit rounding

ChampiCo
4-Participant

Changing GTOL secondary unit rounding

ChampiCo_0-1691431839486.png

What I want to display: 0.1 [.004]

I have gtol_secondary_value_precision set to round, dual_dimensioning set to metric[imperial], and gtols set to ANSI standards.

The problem is that no matter what I try, the secondary unit won't round up. If it is set to 0.100 it shows [0.0039] but when I put 0.10 it shows [0.003] instead of rounding up. 

Cooper Champine | Mechanical Design Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/cooperchampine/
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ChampiCo)

I don't think it will possible. It is not just a PTC coding thing, put it is in the standards that define dimensioning. You cannot have a looser tolerance for the secondary units than you have for the primary units. Other CAD software has this same 'restriction' on dual dimensioning.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Chris3
21-Topaz I

Creo doesn't round the secondary units. This is done intentionally to avoid the secondary (reference) annotation from having more tolerance than the primary (driving) annotation.

ChampiCo
4-Participant
(To:Chris3)

I recognize that is why Creo doesn't do it by default, however I am asking if it is possible to make it round the secondary units anyways. 

In this application a one-thousandths difference in inches is important, where 0.004 is much more acceptable than 0.003. I recognize that the secondary units are just for reference, but in America some smaller manufacturers will only look at the imperial units because it is what they are familiar with. 

Cooper Champine | Mechanical Design Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/cooperchampine/
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I don't think it will possible. It is not just a PTC coding thing, put it is in the standards that define dimensioning. You cannot have a looser tolerance for the secondary units than you have for the primary units. Other CAD software has this same 'restriction' on dual dimensioning.

Chris3
21-Topaz I

If you really wanted to I am sure you could display it with the rounded number. For instance, you could create a custom symbol that looked like the GTOL with two parameters in it one in the English units and one that is being driven by a relation that converts the secondary number into metric. Aside from making a custom symbol and using relations though there is no way to force Creo to change the way it does this calculation.

Chris3
21-Topaz I

For anyone coming back to this there is a dtl option for MBD (not drawings) that allows you to round. It is:

gtol_secondary_value_precision

https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/r10.0/usascii/index.html#page/model-based_definition/detail_options_specific_to_3d_mode_21.html 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Chris3)

Even with that setting, the secondary tolerance values will not be greater than the primary tolerance values.

Top Tags