cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Creating drafting 2D centerlines

RicardoGarcia
1-Newbie

Creating drafting 2D centerlines

It has been a while since I needed to create a drawing. A couple of features like a slot does not exhibit a centerline when you do a Show/Erase Axis command. I seem to recall there is a way to create 2D centerline in the drawing but I am unable to find the command sequence to create the required centerline. Will someone please advise as to where the command is located to create a 2D centerline? Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Well All, I have been working at it since the last post. What I have done is insert one common garden variety line, change the font, extend the line to what it needs to be and rotate and copy the line 90 degrees. This works okay but I still think there is a simpler method. Define a symbol? Please let me know all your thoughts on this. Thank you in advance for your comments. Best regards

If your feature is extruded, you can create an Axis Point in the sketch (Sketch -> Axis Point), and this will produce an axis in the model which can be shown like any other. (This may require the sketch to be internal to the feature - I'm not totally sure as we always use internal sketches for other reasons.) If you mean an axis along the slot, i.e. not in the direction of the extrude, then I would create a datum axis in the model. Model features are much more robust than sketch entities in the drawing.

To create a draft centreline you can select a datum plane and use offset edge to create a line (offsset by zero) and then change the line type to centre line. Group the line to the view to ensure it does not move if you move the view.
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-1097474)

You can also create a Datum Axis on your model, on the arcs of the slot. These will then show up in your drawing with the "Show/Hide".
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Why is there no other way to do this in ProE? Centerlines and centermarks on drawings are general, run-of-the-mill, basic commands that should be easier than this. We shouldn't have to show datum planes or show axis, or create lines and rotate - and so on - to have a centerline or centermark on a drawing. Besides, when you show datum planes in 2d they look rediculous because it shows up as 2 lines neither of which are actually on the center. Many times these drawings need to be sent to other companies for manufacturing and they want centermarks shown, otherwise it looks like your dimension on the center of a hole is just floating in space. If anyone form ProE is reading this please consider adding some basic commands to your 2d envirnment. ProE is the 3rd 3D modeling software I've used at a company and by far the most cumbersome. Why does it seen that everything has to be done in some roundabout fashion?

By the way, I'm not here to complain. I was searching for a way to create centerlines (2d drawings), and came accross this and a few other posts but still have not found a GOOD way to do it.

I have to say that I don't find it hard - or even inconvenient - to show axes of holes I'm dimensioning.

Holes have axes automatically (and in other extruded features you can use an axis point to create one), and it sometimes makes for clearer drawings if you can show axes only for the holes that you're dimensioning in a particular view, so I wouldn't want every hole to automatically show a centre mark.

I agree that it's more difficult for features such as slots (and that the ability to sketch additional entities in the drawing is extremely poor, compared to Part Mode sketcher), but even then many such features can be created by sweeping along a trajectory, and that trajectory can then be shown as a centreline.

Due to the above-mentioned poor drawing entity creation, my preferred technique for anything more complex than a single line is to create a sketch in the model for whatever centrelines, extensions or trajectories I want to show in the drawing. This can be layered on or off as required, and an additional advantage is that it can be parametrically constrained to the relevant part geometry.

I do realize that this is an old post, but in case anyone else comes accross this thread like you, and I, did then I believe the answer can be found with 'Show Model Annotations': https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Modeling-Questions/How-to-display-only-the-axes-of-visible-holes-in-a-view/td-p/330576#_ga=2.39680800.2018180019.1508261952-589536333.1507726430

I too find Creo frustrating though. I have been using Creo for just under two years (22 months) and it still gripes me daily. I recently changed employers and due to my recent transition I have not used Creo draft/drawing tools much in the past four months and forgot about 'Show Model Annotations', thus why I came here. I have decided to 'make my bed' with my new employer though and stick with them indefinitely, and thus I have decided to stick with Creo as well. 

I can tell you though that working with a company that keeps their service pack going does make a big difference. The differences between 3.0 M50 and 3.0 M110 were enough to make me excited that there is hope for this software in the long term. Having an internal support group at your compay also helps too if you are lucky enough to have it. At least there's this forum though.

I previously used SolidWorks for six years professionally doing design work for a large on-site manufacturing company and Alias Studio Tools (surface modeling) for two years before that. I find myself missing SW's daily, even now after 22 months. It's so simple to use with no hoops to jump through. It's fluid, freeing up the design process and alowing for faster workflow. Creo usually takes three times the effort and time to do accomplish the same comand or task. Customizing SW's for specified use is much easier as well and does not require a degree in programming in order to generate macros or specialized functions. The support base for SW's is much greater too and is in my oppinion where PTC falls short. PTC wants you, or your employer, to pay ~$2500 per class for you to learn the software and become more proficient at it. It's bad enough that the product is more combersome to use but restricting people from learning all they can in order to become better usuers, and thus happier consumers, is bad business. Yes, we all want to get paid but there's a reason Pro/E has lost SO much market share over the years and why SW's has a HUGE control over it. But hey, at least we have eachother in this forum though, haha.

Hbaq121
4-Participant
(To:OldNorthState)

I too am from Solidworks, autocad, and Inventor and I have to say Creo is rather difficult to pickup.  I would much rather use Solidworks, but it ain't happening without a job change.  Creo has goofy subemenues, incomplete child windows, and homebrew nomenclature that makes something that should be simple even more difficult to execute.  It's as if Inventor took all the seconds that SW didn't want and Creo took a few of what's left over from Inventor's trash pile and they tried to reinvent the rest of it.  It's a mess.  I can't wait for the day I finally fully understand the workflow of Creo. 

If using pipes you can go under layer tree and unhide the axes layer.

Top Tags