cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Creo Parametric Script/Addon Authoring

PantelisP
6-Contributor

Creo Parametric Script/Addon Authoring

Hello community,

I would like to ask for help. As I want to write my own script and run it within Creo Parametric 3.0. I would like to know if this is possible. By script, I mean something like an addon that (completely random example) selects a surface(e.g. by projection from a plane)/face and writes 3D letters upon this surface or such stuff. Of course it would be interesting for CAE/CAM menus as well, but for now I am only interested on a very specific thing on CAD and I am wondering if I have to switch to Inventor to do so in case I cannot stay on Creo (that I used for 4 years now and I would feel much more comfortable doing so).

So, is there such thing that I can add my own stuff into the software?

Thanks in advance,

PP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You will probably have to contact a VAR or PTC sales directly.

Try https://www.ptc.com/en/contact-us

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

I think "Toolkit", one of the modules in Creo can help you. 

Hello again,

Yes this should be the one. But I can't seem to spot it therefore I assume is something that I have not currentl;y installed. Can't seem to find on setup either though:ptc.jpg

I believe Toolkit is not part of Creo. It is a separate development environment that allows one to create plug-in modules for Creo. It will not appear on the list of Creo modules and is separately purchased and licensed.

PantelisP
6-Contributor
(To:dschenken)

You were both very helpful so far, thank you very much. BUT! I cannot seem to spot the software(for trial/buying/lincensing/whatever). I see only manuals/other pdfs, but not the actual software. I believe I should be searching for PTC Creo Object Toolkit Java (2.0 is the latest I think)?

Can you help me with this one?

You will probably have to contact a VAR or PTC sales directly.

Try https://www.ptc.com/en/contact-us

Hi,

you will see Toolkit items when you click Customize button in installer window. Toolkit items are available in Creo Parametric "area". Some of them need special license, some are free.

Martin Hanák
PantelisP
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHanak)

Found it! Thank you very much. Any difference between the 3? I guess UI Editor is were the actual ribbon is built.

Is object toolkit C++ and Java the same (only different languages)?

What's the difference between them and parametric toolkit?

Which ones should I install if I want to build a custom ribbon for example with a few options to manipulate/transfort surfaces?

You've been the most helpful! Thanks!

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

you will see Toolkit items when you click Customize button in installer window. Toolkit items are available in Creo Parametric "area". Some of them need special license, some are free.

Screenshot_20.jpg

Hi,

unfortunatelly three Toolkit items in red frame are not free. You have to buy a license to use them.

I am not Toolkit expert. Occasionally I use J-Link (it is free) to build small applications. When you install J-link you will find example applications somewhere in Creo installation directory (look for .java files).

To find J-link documentation, look for loadToolkitDoc.html (Creo 3.0) or loadApiWizard.html (Creo 4.0).

Martin Hanák
PantelisP
6-Contributor

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

unfortunatelly three Toolkit items in red frame are not free. You have to buy a license to use them.

I am not Toolkit expert. Occasionally I use J-Link (it is free) to build small applications. When you install J-link you will find example applications somewhere in Creo installation directory (look for .java files).

To find J-link documentation, look for loadToolkitDoc.html (Creo 3.0) or loadApiWizard.html (Creo 4.0).

I don't have a trial version. I have an educational one (slightly different) provided by my university. Though it allowed me to install this error appears. Does that mean my licence does not cover those addons?Screenshot_1.jpg

Hi,

"Does that mean my licence does not cover those addons?"

It depends on the contents of your license file. Open it in Notepad and look for Toolkit keyword. you can also upload your license file and I'll tell you what is inside.

Martin Hanák
PantelisP
6-Contributor

Hello again,

Where this licence file should be located normally?

Hi,

Student license files are located in C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing directory.

You can open parametric.psf file located in your Creo installation in Parametric\bin sub-directory and look for line beginning with ... ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=

Path to license file is located after equal sign.

Martin Hanák
PantelisP
6-Contributor

Hello, it took me a long time since I had left my machine elsewhere. I am back with it now. It was not at ProgramData, but at program files, but, never the less, I've found the licence file. I see the server/port of my licence. What about it? How should I know if it included toolkit?

Hi,

open license file in Notepad and look for Toolkit keyword. You can upload the file if you want me to check its contents.

Martin Hanák
PantelisP
6-Contributor

Can't find any toolkit keyword. Attaching it (after hiding server/port info for obvious reasons):

Hi,

check_it.txt file is not license file.

Martin Hanák
PantelisP
6-Contributor

It is the parametric.psf that I was guided to check, only renamed and stripped off the server/port info.

Hi,

in parametric.psf you can find license name, only ... in your case it is PROE_Educ1. To see list of modules available in this license, you can:

• look into license.dat file located on license server

-OR-

• launch Creo and click File > Help > System Information and look into Configured Option Modules section

Martin Hanák
PantelisP
6-Contributor

So... They seem to be included. How can I access them?

Screenshot_3.jpg

Hi,

during Creo installation, you have to click Customize button and select Toolkit items to install them. Then you have to learn how to use them to create an application. Programming using Toolkit is not easy and I can't help you to learn it.

Martin Hanák
PantelisP
6-Contributor

So... back where we started...:

Screenshot_1.jpgScreenshot_2.jpg

PantelisP
6-Contributor

So... back where we started...:

Screenshot_2.jpg

Are you aware of the CREO|SON ?  All you need for it is that free J-Link license and then you would be good to go in automating many tasks.  It's open-source and seems promising...

CREO|SON - Welcome

PantelisP
6-Contributor
(To:pausob)

@pausob wrote:

Are you aware of the CREO|SON ?  All you need for it is that free J-Link license and then you would be good to go in automating many tasks.  It's open-source and seems promising...

CREO|SON - Welcome

Hello and thanks for that info,

I'd rather make toolkit work but I will have an extensive look on it before for sure! Although, the stuff I want to write on toolkit are pretty advanced and require some level of access that I am affraid oversimplicity of CREO|SON might have taken away (I don't know. I haven't installed it yet. I just speculate.).

Yeah, I think your gut feeling is correct.  Sounds like you will be needing to access model's vertex data and for such low-level stuff, I think you need the toolkit license.

I often think that PTC has been pretty short-sighted because they make people pay for the toolkit - because I suspect that over the course of all these years, they lost so much more than they gained by selling few licenses.

I'm just thinking of what AutoLISP did for AutoCAD back in the day...

Thanks @MartinHanak, for the information

Best Regards

Top Tags