cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Different names under Model Tree for same assembly part...

cgherghe-2
8-Gravel

Different names under Model Tree for same assembly part...

Newbie here, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this (apparently, I do not have access to any other area to create a new topic).
Let us say I have two parts: a plate with three threaded holes (PLATE.prt.1), and a screw (SCREW.prt.1).
When I assemble these parts together, I will set up the PLATE.prt.1 as default, and I will assemble three SCREW parts in it.
The Model Tree to the left of the screen will show PLATE at the top, and underneath three SCREW parts, all having the same name (I have put together a Minimal Working Example file).
I want to change the Model Tree to show:
PLATE
- LEFT_SCREW
- CENTER_SCREW
- RIGHT_SCREW
(or whatever naming convention the system allows) -- please see image attached.
Can I do that in CREO 3.0 or do I have to duplicate the SCREW part file in three distinct files, and then assemble them as different parts?
I just want to know if there is a possibility to give the same part, used repeatedly, a different name under CREO assembly Model Tree.
Or mark it somehow differently, even without it being visible, like one could hover with the mouse over the part and a balloon with a description might pop up to tell you it is the LEFT or the RIGHT screw.
In assemblies with hundreds of parts, it is near impossible to tell them apart unless one uses different names -- I reckon I should not be the first guy to have this problem?
Thank you in advance for your help,
Colin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In Creo, the components in your assembly are features of the assembly.

You can name features.  However, the name column might not be present and needs to be added to the model tree.

Use the "Hammer and screwdriver" icon, then "Tree Columns" then in the "info" type of database items, pick "Feature Name" to be displayed.

Then you'll be able to name the components by clicking on the "empty" model tree fields (subject to Creo rules - no spaces and all caps only, and I think 31 character limit):

pausob_0-1613448642973.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

In Creo, the components in your assembly are features of the assembly.

You can name features.  However, the name column might not be present and needs to be added to the model tree.

Use the "Hammer and screwdriver" icon, then "Tree Columns" then in the "info" type of database items, pick "Feature Name" to be displayed.

Then you'll be able to name the components by clicking on the "empty" model tree fields (subject to Creo rules - no spaces and all caps only, and I think 31 character limit):

pausob_0-1613448642973.png

Thank you very much, this works just great!!

Top Tags