cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Dimensioning across broken Views

ptc-1954484
1-Newbie

Dimensioning across broken Views

Whenever i have a drawing with broken views you cannot dimension across the broken views for 2 axis lines to show centres of holes for example, this you can get around with using centres but when all you have is two axes i'm stumped? anyone have any ideas. Cheers Alex
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Try creating the dimension before you make the break in the view if you can. Not sure about later versions but in WF2 one of the axes stays in the position it would have in the FUll view so you have to erase it and show it in the view part.

Thanks for that Kevin, i have trialed it on some different drawings and it seems to work, unfortunately can't roll back the broken view without killing all my other dimensions. I don't understand why you shouldn't just be able to do it in the first place.

After looking at this some more here is something to try as a workaround so you don't mess up your other dimensions. It's a bit of a pain but so far it works. Try making an ordinate dimension from the first hole axis to some known geometry in the left hand part of the broken view to get your baseline. You can do it using the ordinate command or by creating a linear dimension and toggle it to ordinate selecting the hole axis as the baseline. Create an ordinate dimension to the second axis. It will show up on the first axis and should turn purple when you refresh the screen. Select the dimension, right click>edit attachment, and select the second axis. Refresh the screen and the dimension should turn purple and should still be attached to the first axis. Right click and toggle the dimension to linear. It should still be purple. Select the dimension, rick click>edit attachment, and select the the baseline ordinate (0). This should attach it so that if you move the parts of the view the dimension should stay with them and the arrows should update. You can put the ordinate dimensions on a layer and hide them but you will need to have them shown to move the views. If you try and move the left part of the view the dimension won't stay attached to it.
Top Tags