cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Driving dynamic text by patterned feature instance

joebot
4-Participant

Driving dynamic text by patterned feature instance

I would like to have a pattern of extrusions on a part with labels on each extrusion.  However, I would like the text on each extrusion to be driven by the instance of each extrusion.  So, the text on the first extrusion would be something like "EX1" and then the text on the 15th extrusion would be "EX15."  I do not want to manually type in the extruded text - I would like it to be dynamic.

1. Is this possible?
  2. How do you reference the instance number of a patterned feature?
  3. How would I go about setting something like this up?
6 REPLIES 6

@joebot wrote:

I would like to have a pattern of extrusions on a part with labels on each extrusion.  However, I would like the text on each extrusion to be driven by the instance of each extrusion.  So, the text on the first extrusion would be something like "EX1" and then the text on the 15th extrusion would be "EX15."  I do not want to manually type in the extruded text - I would like it to be dynamic.

1. Is this possible?
  2. How do you reference the instance number of a patterned feature?
  3. How would I go about setting something like this up?

Hi,

I hope https://community.ptc.com/t5/Assembly-Design/Pattern-numbers/td-p/122932 discussion will help you to solve your problem.

Martin Hanák
joebot
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Martin,

That's an interesting method - kind of a hack, really.  I will see if it solves my problem. Thank you!

Hi, 

I tested a few methods to see if this possible and at this point in time, I'm not sure it is. The key would be to drive the sketch associated with each extrude by a parameter. It's easy to drive sketch text by a parameter, it's not so easy to make the parameter vary based on the pattern ID of a feature. 

Tdaugherty_0-1594227249650.png

Based on this article, I don't believe it's possible to harvest a feature name and use it to populate a parameter. 

Display features names as a parameter 

With that in mind, I went a different route and attempted to append "EX" to the pattern instance (number) converted to a string. This is still a challenge because each sketch has to be driven by a unique feature parameter and I can't find a way to get the instance ID.

So, the relations that you put in the first instance of the pattern have to vary a single parameter (inside the first instance) in every other pattern instance. This isn't possible. It's also worth noting that it seems to matter what kind of pattern you're using. Creating a unique feature parameter in every pattern instance to call in each sketch isn't viable. It would take more time than it's worth. 

Can you explain what you're trying to use the text for? That might lead to some other suggestions that could solve your problem. 

Ty

joebot
4-Participant
(To:Tdaugherty)

The part is a large 3D printed bracket that holds about 12 items.  Each item needs a reference designator and I opted to make the text integral to the part.  Ultimately, it's only 12 items (two labels for each item), so it's not the end of the world to manually add the text (which is what I ended up doing).  This just presented a unique challenge and I was disappointed that I couldn't solve it - hence the question.

Understood. I think you chose correctly. I was also disappointed that I couldn't figure it out! Maybe somebody else can chime in. 

Ty

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:joebot)

As others have mentioned you need to create a parameter that is driven by a relation and then change the text to be the parameter.

For instance if you wanted E1 then your relation would be something like RefDes = "E" & itos(d0)

Sometimes I make construction lines to make a dummy dimension with the number that I want to pull into the relation

Top Tags