cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Easy parameter editing

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Easy parameter editing

WF2, M220 / WF3, M200 / WF4, M100

Hello,

Back in 2001, I set up some default start parts for common things that we configure and created 3D notes in them to display parameter values to edit that would change the configuration of those parts.  It worked great, by double clicking on the parameter in the note you could edit the value.  This made it easy to change 5-6 or six parameters of maybe 25 in a part to drive its geometry.

This hasn't worked since WF, double clicking the note doesn't allow one to edit those parameter values.  You have to go into the parameter dialog and wade through the 25 or so parameters to find the 5 that need to be configured.  It's much, much harder and easy to change other things that you don't want to.  I set this up to make it easier for my users (and me) to configure these items and most of that designed in ease is gone now.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me how I edit a parameter in a note on screen or how I can get access to only those 5 parameters to make this easier again.  (I'm sure there are 3rd party tools to help this, and please let me know if there are, but I'm really hoping for a native Pro|E solution)

Thanks,

Doug Schaefer

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
5 REPLIES 5

Hi Doug,

Select the 3D Note and RMB to Value.

2. Use the old style modify menu with a mapkey:
mapkey mm #modify;#value
So press mm and then select the driven 3D Note, change the value
and select the next driven 3D note.
When finished press Done.

You could also use this option to get the old Parameter UI back:
NEW_PARAMETER_UI NO
and create a mapkey to change those 5 parameters.
That way you force your users to think about every parameter.
In the example below I use the mapkeys toun and toun to load a
config which disables resp. enables this option.

mapkey tpm @MAPKEY_LABELModify Std Parameters;\
mapkey(continued) @MAPKEY_NAMEModify Std Parameters (mapkey
tpm);\
mapkey(continued) %toun;~ Command
`ProCmdDwgParameters`;#PART;#ASSEMBLY;\
mapkey(continued) #MODIFY;#DESCRIPTION;\
mapkey(continued) #MODIFY;#ENGINEER;\
mapkey(continued) #MODIFY;#CREATE_DATE;\
mapkey(continued) #MODIFY;#TREATMENT;\
mapkey(continued) #Done/Return;%touy;

This all this still works in WF5.

P.S. Raphael, if you're reading this. Don't forget to keep supporting
all these nice old style menu's. They prove to be very handy some times.

Olaf Corten
CAD/PLM Manager, Besi Competence Center - Other Business Applications
Fico BV, Ratio 6, 6921 RW Duiven, The Netherlands
Tel.: +31 26 3196215

There was a a small error in the tpm mapkey. it's now fixed 😉
lwh
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:dgschaefer)

You could add a (Pro/)program to the part, which asks for the parameter values when regenerating:

INPUT
 LENGTH NUMBER
  "enter the length in mm"
END INPUT 

However, this can be annoying if regenerating an assembly with a lot of those parts...

For even more comfort, try to use WebLink to edit parameters using a HTML form in the internal browser. This would allow help texts, selection of predefined values etc.

You can create a custom model tree.cfg view and show the 5 parameters in
there then edit in the tree. You will need to add this tree.cfg file to your
config.pro file. And if you bring up the assembly of all these parts you
can edit all of them at the same time in the assembly model tree view.

Ron

I have edited parameters for many parts within an assembly using this method. It worked great, and in my case another bonus was that many of the partsneeded the same value in a parameter. I was able to copy and paste within the tree. It ended up being a very efficient way to accomplish the task at hand.

-----End Original Message-----
Top Tags