cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Editing symbol (.sym) - How?

mholst
7-Bedrock

Editing symbol (.sym) - How?

I have some existing symbols (.sym files) that I would like to edit. They are company specific symbols that need an update.

The problem is that I cannot seem to edit the symbols.

I can insert the symbols into drawings and I can edit the properties of the symbol from there but I cannot open the .sym file in the editor. Do I really have to remake them fram scratch?

Im am using Creo Parametric 4.0 (release 3.0 M100)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mholst)

7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV

mender
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

And afterwards, if you want to have new .sym files on disk, Write from the SYM GALLERY menu.

mholst
7-Bedrock

Thank you. I had not seen the 'redefine' function. It could have been more simple - like why can't I simply open the .sym file?
Now I just have to figure out how to contstrain the sketch. Whish it was more like normal sketching...

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Turn on the grid and enable the sketcher preference to snap to grid.  It makes sketching in drawing mode (and symbol creation) much, much easier.

mholst
7-Bedrock

I agree this makes it easier but still not as easy as normal sketching in Creo...

mender
6-Contributor

If you want to make it as a sketch first, here's how:

1) Make a part, with a sketched datum curve, make the sketch that you want.

2) Make a drawing, place a view of this part.  Check the scale to be sure it is as desired.

3) Make sure the view is wireframe or HLR, not shaded, and datums are off.  In the Layout tab, under Edit, use Convert to Draft Entities to snapshot the view.

4) Symbol Gallery>Define.

5) In the symbol editor, Copy Drawing, select the entities.

As this is all a bit cumbersome, I could see a Product Idea to add Copy Sketch to the symbol editor alongside Copy Symbol and Copy Drawing.

mholst
7-Bedrock
(To:mender)

Wow this helps as it gives me the opportunity to fully constrain all lengths and angles the way I want them. Thanks.
But as you say it is very cumbersome. It is a good thin I dont need new symbos too often.

Top Tags