cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Export formula driven lattice to iges format

NN_9771247
5-Regular Member

Export formula driven lattice to iges format

Hello,

I created gyroid and diamond structure in Creo by Engineering -> lattice -> formula driven. Then I exported this to STL file and printed it... But now I need to do some analysys in Ansys... so I need igs format (because Ansys do not support STL to do analyses). Is the way how to convert structure from STL (or prt, where I creted this structure) to iges format ? Or how to solve this problem ? How to do analyses of minimal surfaces strucutre if I can not create solid model from them ?

Thank you for your answer and sorry for my english.  Have a nice day to all of you

7 REPLIES 7

You output IGES the same way you made the STL file. Open the .prt file and do File->Save As. Scroll down to IGES in the list of file types and that will make you the file you want.

@NN_9771247 wrote:

Hello,

I created gyroid and diamond structure in Creo by Engineering -> lattice -> formula driven. Then I exported this to STL file and printed it... But now I need to do some analysys in Ansys... so I need igs format (because Ansys do not support STL to do analyses). Is the way how to convert structure from STL (or prt, where I creted this structure) to iges format ? Or how to solve this problem ? How to do analyses of minimal surfaces strucutre if I can not create solid model from them ?

Thank you for your answer and sorry for my english.  Have a nice day to all of you

Hi,

you can use FreeCAD.

Please read https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/Importing-stl-files-into-Creo-Parametric-3-0-and-then-converting/td-p/289180 discussion.

Martin Hanák
NN_9771247
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

I already tried this... But my stl format have about 4 000 000 polygons and when I want to create igs this way Freecad still crashed. I have 16GB memory ram and I think it is not enought...Is there other solution ?

@NN_9771247 wrote:

I already tried this... But my stl format have about 4 000 000 polygons and when I want to create igs this way Freecad still crashed. I have 16GB memory ram and I think it is not enought...Is there other solution ?

Hi,

I am sorry I do not have any other idea.

Martin Hanák
Bogdan
12-Amethyst
(To:NN_9771247)

File->Save As->Save a Copy and select IGES.

You have the option to customize your export

Bogdan_0-1612811313807.png

Bogdan M

Hi

I have the same issue and I need help. Coulde you find a solution? 

The Gyroids, Diamond, etc. are voxel-based geometry and they can not be exported to neutral file formats such as STEP IGES Parasolids etc.

You have two options:

1_ Use CREO Simulation Live.  It understands voxel-based geometry and you can do Structural, Modal, Thermal, and CFD analyses. In the CFD you can compute velocities, pressure distributions, and pressure drop but you can not yet conjugate heat transfer.  It is amazing fast.  Use the highest fidelity level and include internal bodies on the setup.

2 Export the STL and import it in ANSYS Discovery.  You can set up the boundary conditions using named selection in design & explore modes.  You can go to Refine mode if you want to go to ANSYS Mechanical Workbench or Fluent.

I hope that helps

Dr. Andreas Vlahinos

Top Tags