cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Feature Parameters into Drawing Note

banderson-4
1-Newbie

Feature Parameters into Drawing Note

Hello,

I want to make use of the FLAT_PATTERN_WIDTH and FLAT_PATTERN_LENGTH parameters generated by created a flat pattern in my models.

Is there a way to create a drawing note that references these feature parameters with each new model? The method I've tried is feature ID specific, so a standard note needs to be updated to each unique feature ID.

(see this discussion: New feature parameters in sheetmetal

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mender
6-Contributor
(To:banderson-4)

I take it you have one such feature in your model, because otherwise having it in the title block wouldn't make sense.  So here's an idea (which I've confirmed works with an ordinary feature with parameters, but haven't tried to make a SMT flat pattern).  The main goal here is to never have to enter the feature ID or name.

1) In the feature, you have parameters SMT_FLAT_PATTERN_WIDTH / SMT_FLAT_PATTERN_LENGTH.

2) Make parameters MY_FLATPAT_WIDTH and MY_FLATPAT_LENGTH in the solid.

3) Tools>Relations>Feature>[the flat pattern], enter:

my_flatpat_width=smt_flat_pattern_width

my_flatpat_length=smt_flat_pattern_length

4) Have the title block note use &my_flatpat_width and &my_flatpat_length to get the params from the part.

Try it out?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
rcook
6-Contributor

You can also use the feature name instead of the feature ID. If your feature naming is consistent, then it seems like this would work. The drawing will resolve the name to the ID after it finds it, but it's worth a shot.

Something like &FLAT_PATTERN_WIDTH:FID_FLAT_PATTERN where FLAT_PATTERN is the feature name.

Full disclaimer: I didn't actually test this method, just shooting from the hip...

I tried the feature name method; see Mathew Ender's reply. No luck. Relations editor only accepts the lines with the feature ID included.

Thanks for the reply.

mender
6-Contributor

I take it you have one such feature in your model, because otherwise having it in the title block wouldn't make sense.  So here's an idea (which I've confirmed works with an ordinary feature with parameters, but haven't tried to make a SMT flat pattern).  The main goal here is to never have to enter the feature ID or name.

1) In the feature, you have parameters SMT_FLAT_PATTERN_WIDTH / SMT_FLAT_PATTERN_LENGTH.

2) Make parameters MY_FLATPAT_WIDTH and MY_FLATPAT_LENGTH in the solid.

3) Tools>Relations>Feature>[the flat pattern], enter:

my_flatpat_width=smt_flat_pattern_width

my_flatpat_length=smt_flat_pattern_length

4) Have the title block note use &my_flatpat_width and &my_flatpat_length to get the params from the part.

Try it out?

I gave this method a shot. Seems like it should work, but without the feature ID, the relations editor gives me an error. Maybe sheetmetal flat pattern parameters are different than other features.

See attached pics.

relations_pic_1.JPGrelations_pic_2.JPG

mender
6-Contributor

The problem is that you are making the relations in the part, not in the feature.  "By Tools>Relations>Feature>[the flat pattern]", I mean where it says 'Look In: Part' in the upper left, to select Feature, and pick the flat pattern.  The part level relations can get at info from any feature, but would indeed need to name the feature to do so.

Ok, that makes sense. It appears that the flat pattern automatically creates those feature paramaters. How do I summon those in a drawing note?

Using the note next that I would for normal part parameters doesn't work: &smt_flat_pattern_width.

Adding the feature ID does work this way &smt_flat_pattern_width:fid_169

relations_pic_3.JPG

mender
6-Contributor

Again, it's a question of relations/parameters context.  When I said "2) Make parameters MY_FLATPAT_WIDTH and MY_FLATPAT_LENGTH in the solid." I mean, Tools>Parameters, Look in: Part.  These parameters are to be at the part level.  Also note they need to exist before you add the relation at the feature level.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm new to custom relations and parameters, so thanks for your patience.

Your process works fine. The last problem is I can't have this preloaded into a sheetmetal startpart as a flat pattern needs to be present, which creates the feature parameters smt_flat_pattern_width & _length. Is this corrrect?

I could create a mapkey to be executed sometime after the part and flat pattern are present.

Brandon

mender
6-Contributor

Preloading, hmm...  The part level parameters can be made in your start part, but unless the flat pattern is in the start part, indeed you'll need to put them in when the feature is made.

Top Tags