cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

File Corruption!

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

File Corruption!

I don't know what happened but something went seriously bad in a complex mode.

So let me please shake some gray cells and see if anyone else had to pull their hair out trying to figure this out.

1st, I updated the NVidia drivers from 276.05 (Dell driver) to 310.90 (NVidia driver)

I did a lot of work with the new driver in place. I did a lot of config.pro settings to get maximum graphics quality for some screen caps. All seemed well; saved often, maintained the files... etc. this is what I was working on: http://communities.ptc.com/photoAlbums/1444

2nd, I noticed something weird with the file. I used "image" to do an overlay with. I used one for side view and one for the top view. These did not come from the working directory but rather, they were .png files from a arbitrary storage location. They were obviously two different file names. However, after some time I turned those images back on and noticed that, although they listed in Creo as two different images, the were in fact the same image! WTH! one of the two images was also used for a texture map.

I downgraded the video drivers because of instability I noticed last night. I went to Dell's V298(?) and the config.pro options dialog was behaving.

Then I loaded Creo and it just crashed every time I tried opening any of the files (dwg, prt, asm) I was working on. I mean hard crash! SO I started working my way backward and found a version that opened. other files were working fine.

1st, Creo crashed when I opened the associated drawing (remember, the prt was already im memory!)

2nd, Creo crashed when I tried opening the assembly (same deal, prt already in memory...)

3rd, tried saving the part file, and again, hard crash.

So I went back about 5 more versions of the prt file, deleted the texture, deleted the underlay images, deleted all appearance changes. Saved the part. Now I could redo the drawing and assembly file working in a fresh folder... etc. Still haven't had the courage to insert the images again.

So I am thinking that the driver issues is a completely red herring. I think the file was corrupted with the "image" function... maybe crossed up with the shared texture image.

I feel -very- fortunate to have all the backup versions. I save often! But what the --- happened? Anyone else have something this bad happen to them?

Please share your experiences and insights.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

H3ll, I think my entire cache on both the server and local is corrupted....... Nice job Windburn, er, Windchill.....

Top Tags