cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Flexible parts library

JH_9645138
3-Visitor

Flexible parts library

Hello,

is it possible to create a part defined by "weak dimensions", what become "strong dimensions" after assembling the part to assembly? For example I have triangular metal sheet with prepared drawing. In assembly there are three points defined for constraints. Then I assemble the metal sheet - triangle vertices of part to points of assembly. After this action is done, triangular sheet and its drawing is adjusted. 

I need to make a library of simple parts, which all have same constraining points, but there is big number of variations. So user simply choose which variation wants to use, put it into assembly and part and rawing is adjusted.

I can make a part driven by relations, but that is not what I need.

Sorry for my english 😉

Thanks for any replies

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hidetaka
14-Alexandrite
(To:JH_9645138)

Actually I am using a flexible part library.

However it is a little different from what you described. I will take a spring part as example.

1. Create a spring part.

2. Make the length flexible.

(2.1 Put it into a folder and use the folder as a flexible part library if necessary.)

3. Assemble the spring into an assembly.

3.1. A dialog will appear, asking whether you want to use the part as a flexible part, and if so, how do you want to define the length.

3.2. Select yes, then choose the length as distance.

3.3. Select two entities/features/... in the assembly to define the distance. For example, choose two surfaces, A and B.

4. Continue to assemble the spring. 

When you align one end of the spring to surface A, the other end will automatically reach surface B.

And it is done!

You can use the same spring in other assembly, the lengths are different in each assembly.

You can make other dimensions of the spring flexible (thickness, radius, etc), these dimensions will also be different in each assembly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Hidetaka
14-Alexandrite
(To:JH_9645138)

Actually I am using a flexible part library.

However it is a little different from what you described. I will take a spring part as example.

1. Create a spring part.

2. Make the length flexible.

(2.1 Put it into a folder and use the folder as a flexible part library if necessary.)

3. Assemble the spring into an assembly.

3.1. A dialog will appear, asking whether you want to use the part as a flexible part, and if so, how do you want to define the length.

3.2. Select yes, then choose the length as distance.

3.3. Select two entities/features/... in the assembly to define the distance. For example, choose two surfaces, A and B.

4. Continue to assemble the spring. 

When you align one end of the spring to surface A, the other end will automatically reach surface B.

And it is done!

You can use the same spring in other assembly, the lengths are different in each assembly.

You can make other dimensions of the spring flexible (thickness, radius, etc), these dimensions will also be different in each assembly.

Top Tags