cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Geometry overlap issue

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Geometry overlap issue

I am in the process of importing Reference Models into a Mold model.

One of the models that I am trying to import comes up with the error "Feature aborted. Geometry was overlapping."

The model that I am trying to import includes a couple External merges which are merged together in that file.

Initially this model had some tiny edge Geometry Check issues which I resolved. I see no other issue showing up with this model.

There is another reference model which was created the same way that I have no trouble bringing into the Mold model.

Is there anything in specific I should look for that might be causing the geometry overlap issue?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
40 REPLIES 40

Antonius i had a job that i need to finish in 1 week, i had a problem with a split core/cavity in the manufacter file.

I call the Creo resselers that contact pt support and:

email to support

"This is maximum priority. The customer has been trying to split this reference model for over a week, and this delay represents big costs to its company."

answer ( 14 days later )

"Our R&D has resolve the SPR 2194461 fixing the issue in Creo Parametric 2.0 M080

This date code will be available around Oct-09-2013."

Of course i couldn't wait even for the email answer or even more for the release

That is to funny... or sad, however you might look at it. I just now got an SPR resolution from support on a sheetmetal pattern issue. It is resolved in M090 due in December!

The good thing is that these errors -are- being addressed. By participating, we -are- making the software better.

But there are ways to push a few buttons if things aren't being address in a timely manner. There is an escalation option on the support site.

Paul, is there a particular sensitivity with sharing your problem part file?

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I am giving PTC support a chance on another issue that I've run into at the tail end of this job I'm working on.

I am unable to export an STL (for use in a simulation).

There are several reasons that I have been reluctant to search for an answer through PTC support.

1) Typical long waits for service personnel

2) Clarity of understanding the person I am speaking with

3) Lack of experience with the person I'm speaking with in a specialized issue.

So far with the new customer case

1) Surprizingly no wait for service personnel

2) Surprizingly easy to understand (with Indian accent), yet the phone connection was scratchy

3) The individual I spoke with was unfamiliar with the Mold product. After 1/2 hour of trying he will be sending this to someone more familiar with the Mold extension.

We were able to perform a solidify for the top and bottom dies, but when attempting STL export it only will look at .prt models.

Antonius: I see by your suggestion that you prefer to log your cases on the PTC support site. Perhaps I would be further along if I tried this instead of phoning tech support, as only the individual qualified would pick up the case. I may have to try this and compare results.

Until I find easier answers through PTC tech support you guys are the only ones helping me keep my thin line of sanity. I certainly appreciate the helpful advice I get here.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:pimm)

I am very happy that we have the Community as a resource to discuss issues openly where we can even vent our frustrations. We all have days where things just don't seem to work.

I was not aware there was a new customer phone support. In my case it was the VAR that got things done when PTC didn't.

There are many times I have been very upset with the tech support personel. There is anescalation process you might want to look at if you are in dire straights for a quick reply.

I don't know what to say about your STL export. In general, it has to be a solid volume (I also found that enclosed facet models work). I guess you already worked with the options in the export? Have you tried to set them courser rather than more precise?

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I have tried different settings to see whether it might make a difference, but no luck.

What seems to be a big chunk of the issue is that the export option is looking for a .prt file and the dies are not this format.

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Finally.

No, I didn't hear back from PTC but I did get help from the salesman that helped us decide to go with Creo.

1st of all the model halves have to be Solidified from the Die Volume menu.

Secondly these solids have to be modified into Cavity Inserts. This turns each die into a .prt.

I never would have figured this out.

Update: Finally at 4:30PM yesterday I received a call from PTC support. Assuming they could resolve the already resolved issue this would be over 32 hours from submission to resolution. I am very fortunate that what I have been working on doesn't have a hard fast deadline; I would have never met it. That is why on 90% of our work we still rely on the old CAD software to get it out the door.

James62
10-Marble

What if you try exporting the assembly into a single STEP file first. Then reload that to Creo as part file, and try to export this part file into STL?

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:James62)

Jakub: I will try as you have suggested if I don't have any other option. It seems strange that I would have to put the dies through translators just in order to have it translate. I do have a feeling that this would work.

Speaking of the other option. I still haven't heard back from PTC. It seems strange to me that a company that costs 10 times the maintenance of our other CAD system gives one tenth of the support. This is a strange anomoly that I find little joy to be part of. This reinforces what I mentioned earlier in the thread about why I don't like dealing with PTC support. There still is time to change my opinion; I just don't understand why support at such an elevated cost is so hard to get.

James62
10-Marble

All of the merged parts have to have the same accuracy value. When that's set the merge should work without any problem.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:James62)

That is what was confusing. In my early stages of die developement I did not have a failure with component importing. It's not that I failed to consider tolerancing altogether, it was that I thought with my config set to enable absolute accuracy that I wouldn't need to worry about this.

James62
10-Marble

Yes, this is one of the things that is described in knowledgebase, and also in help files, but the definition of accuracy there is just way too vague to fully understand it at first, before figuring all out in the hard way.

In other CAD systems, for instance SolidWorks, you could have a model containing surfaces/solids with different accuracies, but Pro/E is just unforgiving on this matter.

This kind of strict logic of Pro/E, and data consistency, is actually pretty good if you consider the data has to be exported into a different file format, and a mold is then manufactured based on this exported data.

Top Tags