cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

How do I View DRW files

BillHasted
1-Newbie

How do I View DRW files

I have been sent a number of DRW files and am trying to view their content. Is there any viewing software package that will allow me to do this? I have downloaded a Trial version of CREO 4 and it will not open them. Is there something I need to do or have installed for this software to actually work? a sample file is attached if that will help

6 REPLIES 6

@BillHasted wrote:

I have been sent a number of DRW files and am trying to view their content. Is there any viewing software package that will allow me to do this? I have downloaded a Trial version of CREO 4 and it will not open them. Is there something I need to do or have installed for this software to actually work? a sample file is attached if that will help

You have at least 2 problems:

• file name contains a space
    • easy fix - simply rename and lose the space
  • missing the drawing model(s)
    • typically Creo Parametric drawings have at least one model - sometimes more than one
    • you will need to get whoever sent you the drawing to also send the needed model(s)
    • I have tried to open the drawing and it is missing at least one model:
      • Model S_HOUS_AIROUT_NET_SE528002_DE.PRT is not in this directory.
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BillHasted)

You can try Creo View Express.

https://www.ptc.com/en/products/plm/plm-products/creo-view/extension-express

I don't remember the details but I think that is the drawing was saved with the correct options, it will be viewable.

I tested on 2 drawings, one worked perfectly and the other one, a very large drawing, had issues.

As Randy said, if you need to open the drawing in Creo Parametric, the drawing does not stand alone, you will need all the model files (.asm, .prt, etc.). 

Hi,

1.)

1ZSE528002-DE_EMC filter.drw is invalid name - somebody rename the file outside of Creo. If you open the file in Notepad++ you can see this:

realname.png

2.)

I renamed 1ZSE528002-DE_EMC filter.drw to drw0003.drw

3.)

File > Open > click arrow on Open button and change it to View Only

viewonly.png

You will see this result.

drawing.png

Martin Hanák

@MartinHanak wrote:

File > Open > click arrow on Open button and change it to View Only

Over 20 years using this software, I didn't know this option existed!  How long has this been possible?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dgschaefer)

When I try this the format is still getting loaded and I don't see anything in the drawing views.  Not sure how useful this is...

Drawing - View Only.PNG

Edit:  Apparently "save_display" has to be set to "yes" for this to work.  Read all about it here: http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/#page/detail%2FAbout_View-Only_Mode.html%23

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:TomU)

save_display yes ... enables users to see "picture of the drawing" in Creo ViewOnly mode

save_drawing_picture_file embed ... enables users to see "picture of the drawing" in Creo View Express application

Martin Hanák
Top Tags