cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

How do I include parameters in "copy geometry"

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

How do I include parameters in "copy geometry"

Basically I have a skeleton part with a parameter "number_of_holes".

Also I have a number of parts which all have a pattern feature using "number_of_holes". How do I get this parameter from the skeleton part?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:bp)

If you really need Copygeom to carry over the parameter you need to attach this parameter to original geometry. You can attach parameter to Surface (you will have to name this surface first). When you get parameter attached to surface, then Copygeom of this surface will have same (and synchronized) parameter on it.

If however parameter belongs to anything else (feature, part) - then you will have to downstream it with the help of relation.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Since a copy geometry only copies the geometry there's no way to pass the parameter itself through the feature. You can however pass the geometry of a pattern from the skeleton to the downstream part. Just create a pattern of axes, points, or holes, etc. in the skeleton and then create a copy geometry feature in the part that references the first member of the skeleton pattern and nothing else. Then reference-pattern that copy geometry in the part(s). Your pattern will be created in the part so effectively you've passed the "number of holes" geometrically. If you change the pattern in the skeleton, it will update in the parts(s).

If you want to pass a parameter directly to other models, you'll need to use a notebook.

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:neomechanikos)

I tried the reference pattern trick, but "reference pattern" is grayed out in my part containing the geometry pattern (I created a pattern of axis in my skeleton and added the first member to the Publish Geometry).

What now?

Clipboard02.jpg

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Since the publish geom is not a part of a pattern, there's no pattern to reference. You need to reference pattern the publish geom as well.

With this technique, I find that the publish geom is an extra complication that is not needed. I simply grab the pattern leader directly in my copy geometry in this case which means one less step, and one less pattern.

A publish geom is useful for gathering up lots of data to share. Since here we can only share one thing in order to make the ref pattern work, the publish geom is of no value.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:dgschaefer)

Allright, I got the ECG (External Copy Geometry) succesfully patterned in my part using Reference, then I created a hole to reference pattern.. but again Reference is grayed out! What is it this time?

Clipboard03.jpg

Did you reference the first instance of the copy geom pattern when you created the hole?

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:neomechanikos)

I started over and now it works (probably I used a wrong reference, the modeltree was already clogged a bit with lots of ECG's). At the moment I can only get it to work with the " hole" feature. If I create a plane normal to the axis and create an extruded cut, I still cant select "reference". Oh well..

vzak
6-Contributor

If you really need Copygeom to carry over the parameter you need to attach this parameter to original geometry. You can attach parameter to Surface (you will have to name this surface first). When you get parameter attached to surface, then Copygeom of this surface will have same (and synchronized) parameter on it.

If however parameter belongs to anything else (feature, part) - then you will have to downstream it with the help of relation.

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:vzak)

One last question, I still cant create extrudes with reference-pattern (using an axis and a new plane as reference, the axis comes from a circular pattern in a skeleton), only holes. I dont get it, is this a bug?

Also if I create a reference pattern of a new axis using the skeleton axis as reference and then reference pattern a hole on the new axis pattern, i get an error

Clipboard02.jpg

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Stop looking for a solution everybody, I just figured it out.

In order to succesfully reference pattern an extrude feature on a circular pattern, you need to include the sketchplane in the pattern by grouping this plane with the extrude and then patterning this group. (otherwise the pattern members of the extrude cant find their sketchplanes )

WayneSchrock
12-Amethyst

I use INPUT & EXECUTE to pass all my parameters.

Top Tags