cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to prevent a balloon from running away?

JS_9824412
13-Aquamarine

How to prevent a balloon from running away?

JS_9824412_0-1643808726774.png

When I move a balloon around, it runs away. I was to move it onto a snap line, however, the balloon fled so far away. I am not sure what it was worried about. There must have some constraints in its mind driving the balloon always run away. How to prevent this time-consuming "catch&flee" cycles?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JS_9824412
13-Aquamarine
(To:JS_9824412)

Just now I found an acceptable solution: 1) toggle off "Snap to Guides"; 2) move the deserter back to its position.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Occasionally I get this issue also, it's pretty rare but infuriating when it happens. It's as if the move point is at some arbitrary location way off the balloon. And every time you move the balloon, it seems the move point gets farther away.

I don't remember how I get around it. Seems like I delete the balloon and re-add it.

JS_9824412
13-Aquamarine
(To:StephenW)

Yes, this is one quick-fix solution that I normally use. However, after I have made Split Balloons, I try to avoid this quick-fix. Thanks.

JS_9824412
13-Aquamarine

JS_9824412_0-1643809690564.png

It ran to the north now ...

JS_9824412
13-Aquamarine

JS_9824412_1-1643809866578.png

Have to wait for back up now. Tired of chasing.

Hello @JS_9824412 

For sure "data specific", and not "generic" behavior.  Without accessing data to investigate this further therefore, it's difficult to give guidance.

I see 2 possible root causes:

• Drawing Model (the asm) somehow corrupted. If so:
    • Recreating a new drawing in a similar way will reproduce the issue (this may be a good test to confirm that root cause is in the 3D Model, and not in the drawingà
    • Maybe check Model Size of the given assembly to check if you eventually see an abnormal high value (compared to model geometry of components assembled inside)
  • Drawing View Corrupted
    • I see more chances to be so
    • If so:
      • update_drawing all in Drawing Setup file may help?
      • Recreating a new View and Creating Balloon on this new View will help (choose for this > Create Balloons - By Comp & View menu)?

If nothing helps above, Is it possible to simplify a lot the assembly, ensure issue persists, and backup a simplified version of the drawing here (to avoid sharing confidential data)? If yes, we may try to have a look, and if not resolving this in the contect of impacted data, maybe trying to provide a workaround.

Regards,

Serge

JS_9824412
13-Aquamarine
(To:sacquarone)

Hi Serge,

It happened before many times in my services at different companies. All the assembly models and drawings were created by different staff engineers. We (contractors) were called in to help and freed them from headache CREO related issues, such as this "catch and flee" problem. Staff engineers are mad about these problems, we (contractors) love these problems very much (because without these never-ending problems, we might have already changed careers.)

Just now I found an acceptable solution: 1) toggle off "Snap to Guides"; 2) move the deserter back to its position. (Note: If the "Snap to Guides" is turned on, PTC still can help by disclosing what the parameter is to control the distance of running away.)

BTW, can PTC design a new capable snap line that, when moving it, it can pick up balloons upon touching them then distribute them along the snap line evenly and automatically? You can take a reference to the most efficient way in SolidWorks about how it handle balloons in drawing.

Thanks

JS_9824412
13-Aquamarine

Just now I found an acceptable solution: 1) toggle off "Snap to Guides"; 2) move the deserter back to its position.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Check out the Delivered reply to this Idea:  Option to disable/turn off annotation leader snapp... - PTC Community

Besides the check box there is a configuration to set:  annotation_snap_to_guide_range - off, 1, 3, 2, 4, 5

There is always more to learn in Creo.
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

We had this issue, along with views moving, caused by a shrinkwrap in the assembly that had been modified after the drawing was created. the modified shrinkwrap was a different size and this 'moved' the view centers on the drawing which caused them and balloons to move.

Top Tags