cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Implementing Creo 1.0 in the classroom

EwanP
1-Newbie

Implementing Creo 1.0 in the classroom

Hey everybody, after some months of teaching myself Pro E/Wildfire 5.0 I was considering taking the plunge and teaching it to a selection of my exam group students. We offer the International General Certificate of Education in Resistant Materials, Systems Control, and Graphic Design, as well as the International Baccaluareate in Design technology. We have used Pro desktop for some time now and I have to say most students do not like it. So now with some trepidation I will be starting to implement Pro E into the classroom. I know see however that PTC have introduced Creo 1.0 and will shortly introduce Creo 2.0. Im still waiting for the correct license for Creo 1.0 and Id be interested to hear from all you educators out there meanwhile, if it is worthwhile going ahead with implementing Creo 1.0 or stay with Pro E / Wildfire 5.0 for this academic year. As I haven't seen Creo 1 in action yet Im not sure how different it is to Pro E.

thanks in advance for you comments.

Ewan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:EwanP)

Hi Ewan,

I'd highly recommend going to Creo 1.

My feeling is that students should learn the latest and greatest whenever possible.

Creo 1 is almost a new platform for PTC's CAD offering and should have a similar look and feel for years to come.

High school students I have worked with have adapted to Creo 1 from Wildfire 5 with little difficulty and they tend to like the new interface.

Of course, it depends on your access to the software and to get installs for all the computers the students will be using.

Good luck!

EwanP
1-Newbie
(To:JoshH)

Thanks for your input Joshua, yes the installing part is giving the IT techies a bit of a headache just now. We dont give our students Administrator rights to their laptops so the techies have to do a complete install of all software for all students at the start of the year. Still havent got an adequate solution for this from ptc. I believe we are the only school in Latin America teaching the software, I'd be happy to hear otherwise, so Id expect quick solutions.

Ewan

JohnF
4-Participant

Hi Ewan

I am the Lead Trainer for PTC Schools Program in Scotland. We have just launched CREO 1.0 and the trial school who previously used WF5 have taken to it with gusto. You can see a report of this in this months Develop3D magazine (www.develop3d.com) p.33. Admittedly the install process is a little tedious but the software itself is a dream to use. PTC have created a very good couple of Primer tutorials that illustrate the new ribbon interface. Contact the schools program for access. http://www.ptc.com/company/community/schools/

Welcome to the Scotland Schools Group, if you would like a partner school in the Central belt I could set you up with a link. In the mean time, Greetings from Dunfermline

JohnF

EwanP
1-Newbie
(To:JohnF)

Hey John many thanks for your comments. Ive been going through the primer material myself. Im also using the Precision LMS site for my own training, Im not sure however that I would use the tutorials in my classroom. A lot of the time Im working through them and I have no idea what Im really doing. I prefer the type of tutorial, like the primer, where you create a model and then can use the learnt skills to create your own version. I have a number of ProE tutorials that I can adapt also.

Last year I had some year 6 students using ProE/Widlfire 5.0 to create cars for the Scalextric4schools activity. I managed to get a hold of the track when I was back in Scotland over the holidays so I will have some fun with it this year.

I would be definately interested in setting up a link with a partner school. Our students dont come back until the second week of March, long sumer break, let me know how we can do that.

Ewan

JohnF
4-Participant

You are right about the PLMS stuff, Schools here find it usefull as a means of getting the students to solve their own problems. Once they are working on an individual project they often hit up against an unfamiliar feature they need to use, PLMS can often supply the answer thus freeing up the teacher.

Schools here are on Half Term break, when they get back I will contact them to see if they would like a Peruvian link, let me know your requirements. I may well be able to find a Scalextric4School link.

Getting late here here now, signing of for the weekend.

JohnF

Top Tags