cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

In Sketcher, how do you prevent yourself from dragging geometry with a hard dimension by accident?

MichaelWittig
1-Newbie

In Sketcher, how do you prevent yourself from dragging geometry with a hard dimension by accident?

Hello Folks,

When I am drawing geometry in sketcher, I've noticed that after I've created a "hard" dimension for a feature, I can still drag it larger or smaller, altering the "hard" dimension. Is there any way of preventing this with some setting?

Thanks,

Mike

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

By "hard" I assume you mean Strong. Strong simply means that you want to take the tentative dimension given to you automatically by Sketcher and give it the permanent parametric status of your design intent. In the same menu you get when you pick a dimension and hold down the Right Mouse Button is the option Lock. That's probably what you are looking for.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

By "hard" I assume you mean Strong. Strong simply means that you want to take the tentative dimension given to you automatically by Sketcher and give it the permanent parametric status of your design intent. In the same menu you get when you pick a dimension and hold down the Right Mouse Button is the option Lock. That's probably what you are looking for.

There is also an option to automatically Lock each dimension when you type in a value, instead of just making it Strong. We have this set.

You can still Unlock the dimension from the right-button menu if needed. I find this very useful for dragging sketches - leave all the dimensions Locked except the one(s) you want to change.

You can also use the keyboard shortcut "control + T" to lock a dimension....a few milliseconds faster than using right-mouse button menu.

-Matt

Nice! I like keyboard shortcuts.

Top Tags