cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Issue when trying to copy from other dwgs....

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Issue when trying to copy from other dwgs....

You used yto be able to copy sheets from other dwgs. I am using WF5/creo and it seems you cannot do this anymore. I want the ENTIRE sheet, models, views, dimensions, etc. When I try it using: "Edit, Copy from Other Drawing, Set Current, Done, Entire Sheet", all I end up getting is a dimension or 2, and PARTS of the format. Now, I believe the dwg I'm trying to copy from is WF4, but that should not matter.

Anyone else having this issue?

Maddening, as it's a huge time-waster. I should be able to simply copy it all.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I begin to understand the disconnect between what users say about the software and what PTC thinks they say.

It's like there are different words on PTC screeens.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

It is now Insert Data from File.

I think it brings in the whole thing and you delete the parts/sheets/symbols you don't like.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dschenken)

Hmmmm, THAT'S interesting. I looked at a similar thread too. It worked.....kind of. Only 1/2 the dimensions showed up! It USED to actually work well in WF4, now, well.....it IS creo........ I guess I should not be surprised at yet MORE buggy behavior.

I'm just going to re-create the sheet then, I'm already 1/2 way there. Thanks though!

Frank,

"Copy from other drawings" is to copy the table, notes from one drawing to another drawing (used to work in the same way in earlier releases).

Seems you need "Import Drawing/Data" to merge an existing drawing in another drawing, which will get model, dimensions, views etc. It is available in Layout > Insert > Import Drawing/data and after merging new sheet will add to existing drawing.

When something says: "Entire sheet" that's what I expect. So, I tried David's suggestion, and that was buggy too. I got the views, but most of the dimensions were missing, saving me zero time. I gave up and am doing it from scratch. I know it USED to be much easier to find, and actually WORKED in WF4. We had a 22 sheet drawing we did that way and it worked great.

I hate when commands are moved around with zero net gain, and usually negative gain in actual functionality, just so software companies can claim it's "new" functionality. Add to that the fact that it didn't work, and, well........

Question: Is PTC wondering why people are running away from Pro/E and TO Solidworks?

Remember - software changes are only to lure new customers. There is no advantage to making improvements for existing customers when the cost for them to switch is very high.

While it is probably not your case, I would expect any dimensions that did not come over to be ones already shown in the target drawing. The more likely explanation is a software failure, but there is the possibility.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Agreed. No, they weren't shown on the targetr dwg, this would have been a model new to the existing dwg. The last time I used this functioanity it worked great. This time, it was only partly functional..... Ah well......

Frank,

As you mentioned in that the drawing is from Wildfire 4.0, possibly some of the dimensions were erased in that drawing and when merging that in new drawing, those dimensions are missing. You may check such dimensions in drawing by activating new sheet created on merge, Annotate > Expand the views > Annotations and look for dimensions with greyed icon.

Well, I looked at it side-by-side with the one I was trying to merge it in to, and they were there in the "donor" dwg. It was only when I imported it into the target dwg that stuff was missing, and it still showed up in the donor dwg. It was strange. I've never had that issue when last I used it.

I begin to understand the disconnect between what users say about the software and what PTC thinks they say.

It's like there are different words on PTC screeens.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

For THAT gem, you get the "Correct Answer" score, David!

Top Tags