cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Moving multiple parts in an assembly to a new or sub-assembly simultaneously?

tbitman
3-Visitor

Moving multiple parts in an assembly to a new or sub-assembly simultaneously?

Afternoon All, 

I am currently working with a large assembly, and required to make sub-assemblies for creating technical drawings. At the moment, the only way I'm able to copy parts into the new sub-assembly is dragging each individual part from the model tree into the new sub-assembly. 

I have tried messing around to figure out a way to simultaneously copy all of the desired parts into the sub-assembly, but nothing has worked out. 

I'm sure there's a simple solution that I'm missing, can anybody help? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:tbitman)

Options I can think of. 

1. Componenet - Restructure. You can select multiple parts and move them to an assembly.

restructure.jpg

2.Select the components, right click, move to new assembly (this will make a new assembly and move all selected components in to it.

movetoassembly.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Options I can think of. 

1. Componenet - Restructure. You can select multiple parts and move them to an assembly.

restructure.jpg

2.Select the components, right click, move to new assembly (this will make a new assembly and move all selected components in to it.

movetoassembly.jpg

StephenWilliams,

Thank you! Component Restructure is exactly the type of tool I was looking for. Working as intended perfectly. 

Have a great day.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

One thing to watch out for in restructuring is to make sure that your assy references are still valid as well as any features that were made in the assy.  Creo will let you move things and will sometimes break references.

For example, if a component is constrained simply by the lone "default" constraint in the assy and then is moved to a new sub assy using the second option listed by Stephen, Creo will change the "default" constraint of the component to"fixed" in the new sub assy.

You'll need to go and look at each component to be sure it's still constrained how you want after you restructure.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Doug,

Thank you for the input. I will keep this in mind moving forward!

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dgschaefer)

Yes, I definitely agree. You need to review your parent child relationships after making changes that involve restructure or move to new assembly. Depending on the way the parts were assembled originally or if you have external reference prior to the move, you could have some new, unwanted relationships that would need to be corrected.

Top Tags