cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Need urgent help, because I want to remove material at PRT-file, former STL-File.

BernhardK
1-Newbie

Need urgent help, because I want to remove material at PRT-file, former STL-File.

Dear Colleagues, 1 Aug. 2012

I need urgent help in view how to remove material at PRT-File which is transfered from STL-File to PRT-File.

I can add material by feature profile, but I can't remove any material by feature profile.

It seems this is because the PRT-file is just "foil", nothing inside, due to transfer from STL-File to PRT-File.

I assume maybe the feature "fill in" will solve this item to make able to remove material by feature Profile.

However, I don't know how to deal with featur "fill-in".

Please, If there is any PRO/E user, best case Wildfire 5.0, who can help my, I do really appreciate.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Bernhard

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Maybe you can upload the file and someone can convert it into a solid step file or something.

Creo now has an import doctor that is suppose to handle issues like this. Do you have something like this in WF5?

It is not at all unusual that imported files have little gaps or even poorly constructed geometry that simply won't import. I have used several systems in the past to successfully get data into solid format.

Hi Bernhard...

Because you've pulled the file from a STL, you're very limited in what you can do.

You can actually enter Restyle (Reverse Engineering Mode) to work with STL files. I am not and expert on the Reverse Engineering Extension (REX) so I have to send you to the help files unfortunately. You'll need a surfacing license and the reverse engineering (REX) license. I have both... and I am able to reverse engineer and modify imported STL files. But I can't do what you really need even with my licenses.

Restyle and the Scan-Tools environment both want data points from an external scanner (laser, etc). From there you can "wrap" a surface around the points and eventually end up with a solid model. I'm not really familiar with the process, I just know the tools are there. For example, let's say you're a manufacturer of children's dolls. You can make a prototype from clay then scan it into Pro/E or Creo as a series of points. next you'd build surfaces from those points... and eventually you'd have a solid model generated from the actual physical part.

I've tried re-translating an STL into a STEP or IGES hoping it might behave after translation. No progress there at all. It seems like once the geometry is "tessellated" or faceted as it is with the STL, you're stuck working with it that way.

I wish I had better news. You may actually try freebie software like Google Sketchup that deals with faceted models. Perhaps you can fill in the model in another piece of software, dump it to a STEP file, and then bring it into Pro/E?

This is a tough one. Maybe an industrial designer out there with some restyle or scan-tools experience could jump in?

Thanks and good luck!

-Brian

Top Tags