cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Part number parametric note in assembly model

spacegeek
6-Contributor

Part number parametric note in assembly model

Has anyone had success in calling out a part number parameter on an assembly model for a component?  I am looking for ways to eliminate assembly drawings and just use MBD model files.  I would like to do something similar to ballooning out an assembly, but I am having difficulty in making it work.  I can use an attached note and type "&part_number:att_mdl" to show the parameter "part_number" from the component part.  But if I want to do an unattached note, how do I call out the parameter of a component?  I tried "&part_number:8" where 8 would be the session ID of the part, but that does not work.

3 REPLIES 3

IMO, MBD implementation in Creo is lacking severely.  The annotation tools are just clumsy, and what about the tools and features from the drawing mode? Repeat regions, basic tables, draft entities, and notes that can display parameter information from all kinds of components and levels - these are just not available...

Anyway, enough ranting, I can only offer that in your assembly, you can create a string parameter (let's call it INTERESTING_PN, and then use assembly relations to assign it the value of the sub-component's parameter:

INTERESTING_PN=&part_number:8

Then you can call this out in an unattached note using the &INTERESTING_PN syntax...

This can't be the only way to do it - I hope someone else can post a better solution to your issue.  

I have been looking for the att_mdl methods.  Some parts (older, different start part, etc.) don't have a parameter equal to the part name.

What I did find that works is, in unattached note:

1. make that model the current active model in the drawing.

2. create note, like "NAME OF PART &MODEL_NAME IS HERE

You'll find that it appends the session ID to the parameter, in my case, &MODEL_NAME:2

That works in drawings, but the original question was related to elimination of drawings and getting notes such as these to appear in the 3D combination states.

Top Tags