cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Proper Use of Centerlines?

LndoVnBtchmrk
10-Marble

Proper Use of Centerlines?

Can someone comment on the proper use of centerlines in drawings? When dimensioning to the centerline of a hole for example, is it a proper drawing practice to extend that centerline leg all the way to the outside of the part (not just to the outside of the feature) and and place the dimension's extension line at that point? See the attached image for an example of what I'm talking about.

At this new job I started at recently, I'm taking ownership of parts which need additional design and drawing work done on them before they can be released for production. Often these parts will have completed prints from the previous revision I work from. I'm seeing a lot of the above practice and I find it extemely iritating for some reason. I feel compelled to change the centerlines back to how they might look in their default condition and move the dimension extension line with it.

ASME Y14.5 1994 seems to show figures done in both ways.

Thanks for your comments.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is no reason for the centerline to be extended to the edge of the part unless the centerline is depicting a rotational or a symmetry centerline. I see the few exceptions in the standards. There is no differentiation in the meaning. This is where "consistency" is the proper way to proceed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

There is no reason for the centerline to be extended to the edge of the part unless the centerline is depicting a rotational or a symmetry centerline. I see the few exceptions in the standards. There is no differentiation in the meaning. This is where "consistency" is the proper way to proceed.

Thanks, my thoughts exactly. I just needed to hear it from someone else.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags