cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Query on load analysis of seesaw mechanism

lteckani
1-Newbie

Query on load analysis of seesaw mechanism

How do I best replicate the load on a seesaw on one side at the middle?

I performed load analysis of the mechanism given in the diagram using mechanica but for different constraint sets I get vastly different results.

As shown in the attached diagram, the three figures have different positions of the cylindrical body M as it rolls over the 'seesaw' ramp. The ramp is connected in such a way that the point B is connected to a movable hinge on one side and completely free on the other side. The top of the ramp is a smooth flat surface.

I get the following scenarios when I analyse the load on the ramp.

1. Assuming that the ramp is hinged (as per figure 2.) at the center only (point B) the load will be uniform on the surface and it will bend the ramp at both ends (especially the end A).

2. As per figure 1, the longer end of the ramp will touch the ground, so we can assume that the end touching the ground (end A) is also hinged. In this case, when I add the constraint at end A, the load seems to cause negligible bending.

Assumptions: The body M is large enough to cause uniform load across the ramp, so in both cases, load is applied on the top surface of the ramp.

My question is, will these two scenarios provide a reliable analysis of the bending of the ramp? Is there any other scenario that you would suggest to improve my analysis of the model?

2 REPLIES 2

hi all,

any guidance/advice/opinions on this?

sorry for the bump up but I really hope someone can help me

Top Tags