cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Search Tool - Search by Name

Domen
14-Alexandrite

Search Tool - Search by Name

Hi.

There is something interesting that I found working with Search Tool and I have no idea why Creo works in this mysterious ways.

If I Look for/Look by: Feature > Attributes > Name and I enter Value: Extrude 1 (or Extrude, Ext*, E* , etc.), the Search Tool finds nothing.

Extrude 1 is default name, given by Creo.

But if I Rename a Feature in something like MAIN_EXTRUDE, and I Search again by Name it will find it.

This is true for all Features.

So why this strange behaviour from Creo. Why won`t it search for and find default feature names?

Thx.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:Domen)

If you haven't "named" the feature, then its name does not exist. I know it shows up in model tree such as "Extrude 1", "Extrude 3", "Datum Point id 1361" or whatever. These are auto-generated based on feature type / ID; note that these types of strings can't be used as valid names - they're not all caps and they contain spaces.

And you'll see that the "Feature Name" field is missing until you manually rename the feature (have a look at the feature info page before/after "naming" your feature).

Also, the way to find these "unnamed features" is to search for Feature by Feature where Name is not equal to *

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

In that first example, it should return "Extrude 1" and "Extrude 3", shouldn't it?

Perhaps ProE makes a distinction between a name you apply to a feature and the default name? Why, I don't know.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

If you haven't "named" the feature, then its name does not exist. I know it shows up in model tree such as "Extrude 1", "Extrude 3", "Datum Point id 1361" or whatever. These are auto-generated based on feature type / ID; note that these types of strings can't be used as valid names - they're not all caps and they contain spaces.

And you'll see that the "Feature Name" field is missing until you manually rename the feature (have a look at the feature info page before/after "naming" your feature).

Also, the way to find these "unnamed features" is to search for Feature by Feature where Name is not equal to *

Top Tags