cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Shell Outdated

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Shell Outdated

Creo 3, M070

In one assy (built in Creo 2) I get a notification that there are 5 outdated components.  In each, the outdated feature is the shell, but no number of regens will fix them.  Redefining the shell reveals no missing refs, changing the remove surface or even deleting all of the removed surfaces  does not fix it.

I suspect what's happening is that there is an old removed surface ref that is missing, but it is not shown in the dashboard so it cannot be deleted.  It likely belongs to a long deleted feature so there is no way to get it back.  That's just speculation, though, based on past experience with how the shell feature deals with missing refs (not well).

Anyone seen this and have a fix?  I like the notifications, but if I get false positives with no way of fixing them, it's a bit useless.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PTC opened an SPR on this, unfortunately it's a "low" priority.  Might get fixed before I retire, probably not.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=5652327

--
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hey Doug,

I have seen this a couple times. One was created by a disassociated offset surface via the ATB that had a reference to the Shell at one point then was deleted. Had to go through the pain of Inserting a new Shell feature and trudging back through the muck until everything was A-Ok.

The other was a corrupt file.

Yeah, the brute force method of deleting the shell and creating a new one with the exact same references "fixes" it, but I was hoping for a more tactical option.

I sent the file to PTC, let's see what they come up with.

--
LinkedIn

PTC opened an SPR on this, unfortunately it's a "low" priority.  Might get fixed before I retire, probably not.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=5652327

--
LinkedIn
JonSharrah
4-Participant
(To:dgschaefer)

I just want to contribute some visibility to this issue.

It's pretty ridiculous that virtually all shell features opened in Creo 3 will throw a false notification at you from now on.  This has been tripping up our designers for months now, as people are wasting a lot of time trying to clean them up, thinking they are legitimate errors.

I had forgotten about this, I'm back on Creo 2 at my new job.  We'll be moving to Creo 3 or maybe Creo 4 later this year, hoping that I won't suddenly have a bunch of outdated shell features.  Grrr.

--
LinkedIn
Top Tags