cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Starting a CAD II course at High School

bpenza
5-Regular Member

Starting a CAD II course at High School

Hi folks,

Well our CAD I program has been running for 2 years now with great success. We use the Parametric Modeling with Creo Parametric 2.0 text book by Randy Shih. It has been great.

Now I'm looking for another book like that one that will go a bit further. This would enable me to write curriculum for the Cad II course.

I have tried the PTC/Creo online courses, but they don't seem to hold the student interest and there are many who cannot get the software running at home (either they are lazy or don't have the P.C. power).

Any suggestions where to get started? Thanks.

-Bpenza

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

I have found the books by Cadquest to be rather helpfull and easy to follow.

bpenza
5-Regular Member
(To:gparminter)

Thanks, I will check those out. It looks like they have a Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. But their site doesn't give much detail about the contents. The beginner book, by looking at table of contents, looks similiar to what we are currently doing. I'm guessing our next step would be the intermediate. I'm just not sure there is enough interesting material there for a 20 week course.

How do you set up your courses? Do you have multi semester courses?

I'm in industry (Oil and gas), responsible for training and administration within out our company though. there is alot of good info in those three books. Hope that helps.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:bpenza)

I was a TA in college for (at the time) Wildfire. I forget what book was being taught from, but basically the curriculum started with simple part modeling then more advanced modeling (sweeps, etc) and then moved on into assembly and GD&T. I think the final project was for them to model something on their own. When I took a CAD course as an undergrad the final project was to re-construct an assembly given a bunch of drawings that were missing information. You could piece together the information using the other drawings (like a thru hole dimension that was missing, but the thread was called out on another drawing).

You might want to look into PTC's academic advantage program:

Case Study: Kate Leipold | PTC

It looks like that's what RIT did. We also use PTC University where I work now.

Top Tags