cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Sweep Challenge

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

Sweep Challenge

Hi, I have been trying to model the geometry shown below using sweep. I managed to model its trajectory but not the final shape. I attached the stp file here for those who would like to give it a try. Appreciate you can share your technique to obtain the final shape. ThanksCapture.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:BHOoi)

This is where I have to leave you to scratch your head a little and explore the existing model...

flower_stalk.PNG

hint: It is as simple as changing the sweep3 section, which is already tangent, by removing the line segment; then using the appropriate edge to sweep the right size cylinder through the part along the edge of sweep1. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Without digging into it too far, I am going to suggest that the 1st sweep is done with a VSS for a subtle spiral around a simple elbow.

The 2nd sweep is an arc profile about the edge of the 1st sweep.

edit... okay, 3 sweeps.  Yours has a cylindrical core which I didn't add, but the final sweep uses the 2 previous sweeps

This failed miserably when using a simple line/arc/line sketch.  I switched the original spine to a spline and it worked wonders.

Creo 2.0 commercial file attached

flower.PNG

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

wow! nice ! Thanks !

Being more ambitious now,  I want to ensure the inner edge of the final swept surface lands exactly on the inner cylindrical surface, and tangent to it.(refer to the earlier step model) What should I change to achieve that ?

Capture.JPG

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

This is where I have to leave you to scratch your head a little and explore the existing model...

flower_stalk.PNG

hint: It is as simple as changing the sweep3 section, which is already tangent, by removing the line segment; then using the appropriate edge to sweep the right size cylinder through the part along the edge of sweep1. 

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

Awesome !! BIG thank to you. With the same logic, I am now able to do model the geometry shown below !Capture.JPG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Nice!  Kinda looks like a kids toy where you roll a marble down the helix......

Or a kids slide at the park....

That's one wicked slide!  Hell, as an adult, I'D be riding it! 

Top Tags