cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Sweep Challenge

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

Sweep Challenge

Hi, I have been trying to model the geometry shown below using sweep. I managed to model its trajectory but not the final shape. I attached the stp file here for those who would like to give it a try. Appreciate you can share your technique to obtain the final shape. ThanksCapture.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:BHOoi)

This is where I have to leave you to scratch your head a little and explore the existing model...

flower_stalk.PNG

hint: It is as simple as changing the sweep3 section, which is already tangent, by removing the line segment; then using the appropriate edge to sweep the right size cylinder through the part along the edge of sweep1. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Without digging into it too far, I am going to suggest that the 1st sweep is done with a VSS for a subtle spiral around a simple elbow.

The 2nd sweep is an arc profile about the edge of the 1st sweep.

edit... okay, 3 sweeps.  Yours has a cylindrical core which I didn't add, but the final sweep uses the 2 previous sweeps

This failed miserably when using a simple line/arc/line sketch.  I switched the original spine to a spline and it worked wonders.

Creo 2.0 commercial file attached

flower.PNG

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

wow! nice ! Thanks !

Being more ambitious now,  I want to ensure the inner edge of the final swept surface lands exactly on the inner cylindrical surface, and tangent to it.(refer to the earlier step model) What should I change to achieve that ?

Capture.JPG

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

This is where I have to leave you to scratch your head a little and explore the existing model...

flower_stalk.PNG

hint: It is as simple as changing the sweep3 section, which is already tangent, by removing the line segment; then using the appropriate edge to sweep the right size cylinder through the part along the edge of sweep1. 

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

Awesome !! BIG thank to you. With the same logic, I am now able to do model the geometry shown below !Capture.JPG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Nice!  Kinda looks like a kids toy where you roll a marble down the helix......

Or a kids slide at the park....

That's one wicked slide!  Hell, as an adult, I'D be riding it! 

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags