cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Symbol embedded in General Note

dszcz
4-Participant

Symbol embedded in General Note

Note behavior in Creo 8.0.6.0. We are trying to get our notes to display embedded sybols as they did in Creo 4. Creo 8 shifts the note text based on the portion of the symbol used. The flag not defines the flag and note numbers. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dszcz
4-Participant
(To:dszcz)

The response from PTC support engineer Michael Bennett that resolved our problem is: 

This change is a result of the SPR reported in CS309421.  Any new drawing with the fix applied can be reverted back to the previous behavior using the detail option antiquate_drawing 8712672 then updating sheets. This option must be entered manually and will not autofill. I can confirm that this did apply to your creo8sample.drw and that the creo4sample.drw had additional spaces added to the 1. in order to correct the indentation of additional lines.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Have you tried different fonts? Creo 4 used Leroy, while Creo 8 is using a TrueType font.

dszcz
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Unfortunately Century Gothic is a requirement.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Can you try different fonts just for testing purposes? It could be that Century Gothic is causing the issue. Have you tried it with Leroy and see if it behaves closer to the Creo4 image?

dszcz
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

here is the result with the leroy font. - no  joy

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

it would help if you could upload a test drawing (Creo 4.0 and Creo 8.0 version) containing the notes and symbol from the image.

Martin Hanák
dszcz
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Creo 4 and 8 samples

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Having the position of things change in a drawing by simply opening it in a newer version breaks one of the cardinal rules of software development at PTC.  You should be able to open old drawing in newer version of the software and see no changes.  It looks like something changed at Creo Parametric 6.0.  I suggest opening a case with PTC technical support.

Your file - creo4sample.drw:

Creo Parametric 4.0 M100

TomU_1-1676315508289.png

Creo Parametric 5.0.5.0

TomU_4-1676315736613.png

Creo Parametric 6.0.6.0

TomU_5-1676315791740.png

Creo Parametric 7.0.8.0

TomU_3-1676315672266.png

Creo Parametric 8.0.7.0

TomU_0-1676315447136.png

Creo Parametric 9.0.3.0

TomU_2-1676315585222.png

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:TomU)

Looks fine to me opening in 7.0.10.  i may have a different config setting somewhere.  I will look to see if I can find anything.

kdirth_0-1676316331993.png

It appears creo is using the leader lines in the symbol to determine the size of the symbol in the older versions and not in the newer versions.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Chris3
21-Topaz I
(To:kdirth)

I tried in Creo 9.0.3

Opening the drawing saved in Creo 4 works fine and it is as expected. Copying and pasting the note onto a new drawing changes the behavior.

It appears to me that the bounding box of the symbol changes:

Drawing made in Creo 4:

Capture2.JPG

Drawing made in Creo 9:

Capture.JPG

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Ah, my bad.  I had update_all configured in my config.sup.  Once I took that out opening the old drawing in a newer version looks fine.  It's only when attempting to do something new with these old symbols that the problem appears.  In this case PTC will probably say the change was intentional and 'working to spec', but I'd still open a case just to be sure.

Equivalent command:

TomU_0-1676321452925.png

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS31562

dszcz
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

Thanks, PTC provided a solution

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I could not find any configurations settings that related to symbol size.

I tried redefining symbol with spaces before and after the configurable text but the spaces were ignored.  I even tried a note of all spaces to no avail.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
StephenV
3-Visitor

Based on PTC history no spaces in this situation and use underscores in place of spaces, or other accepted characters (very limited in part/file naming).

dszcz
4-Participant

This change is a result of the SPR reported in CS309421.  Any new drawing with the fix applied can be reverted back to the previous behavior using the detail option antiquate_drawing 8712672 then updating sheets. This option must be entered manually and will not autofill. I can confirm that this did apply to your creo8sample.drw and that the creo4sample.drw had additional spaces added to the 1. in order to correct the indentation of additional lines.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

here is the result of my test ...

1.] I opened creo8sample.drw in Creo 8.0.4.0

2.] I added magenta line into symbol definition

MartinHanak_0-1676322369834.png

3.] multiline note now looks like this ...

MartinHanak_1-1676322480376.png

4.] magenta line can be changed to white line ... this hides the line on paper print and in PDF export

Martin Hanák
dszcz
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

See the solution I posted earlier. Thanks for the suggestion. It would work but is not as elegant as the PTC response.

dszcz
4-Participant

The response from PTC support engineer Michael Bennett that resolved our problem is: 

Top Tags