cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Trying to use an evaluate feature to drive another feature.

DELETEME
1-Newbie

Trying to use an evaluate feature to drive another feature.

I have a complex curve, then I created an evaluate feature to measure the curve length. I'm trying to use a relation to drive the length of a straight curve by the developed length that the evaluate feature returns. I cannot access the evaluate feature dimension for length. It does not show at all, and it's not a parameter, so how can we access it? And, of course, the online help is absolutely no use. Any ideas? Thanks
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Wow, nobody's tried to use one?

CM, Not too surprising that you're having a little difficulty doing this the first time; this functionality is not immediately clear although perfectly logical and useful once you understand it. The main thing to realize is that when you create an Analysis Feature, you are dealing with two levels, the Feature itself, and a Parameter belonging to that Feature. Suggested method: Analysis/Measure/Length, then pick Feature from the drop-down list (Quick is the default). This creates a Feature named ANALYSIS_LENGTH_1 which contains a Parameter called LENGTH. Both Feature and Parameter can be renamed if you wish (to something more meaningful and shorter). Now write a Relation like this: d28=LENGTH:FID_ANALYSIS_LENGTH_1 FID stands for Feature ID, and must be included in this form. If you rename things, you could have something simpler like: d28=L:FID_A1 David

"David Butz" wrote:

CM, Not too surprising that you're having a little difficulty doing this the first time; this functionality is not immediately clear although perfectly logical and useful once you understand it. The main thing to realize is that when you create an Analysis Feature, you are dealing with two levels, the Feature itself, and a Parameter belonging to that Feature. Suggested method: Analysis/Measure/Length, then pick Feature from the drop-down list (Quick is the default). This creates a Feature named ANALYSIS_LENGTH_1 which contains a Parameter called LENGTH. Both Feature and Parameter can be renamed if you wish (to something more meaningful and shorter). Now write a Relation like this: d28=LENGTH:FID_ANALYSIS_LENGTH_1 FID stands for Feature ID, and must be included in this form. If you rename things, you could have something simpler like: d28=L:FID_A1 David

Hi David. Tried it using the actual FID number, and it worked......sort of. The problem is that for what I am trying to do, use the length of 2 intersected curves to drive the developed length of a straight curve, the system forces a second regeneration to make it work. I'm routing a hydraulic line, and want the generic to be the installed line, and the developed length to be the the model used in the drawing. since the lengths will be the same, this will work for me as long as I remember to regen twice and then verify, so I think it'll work. This has been a major problem in Pro/E, since I first used it in V15. If the regeneration of the instance required a second regen, I'd be hosed.

CM, No, by "FID_" I literally meant FID_. What follows the underscore can be either the name or the ID number. You said you got it to work with the number; what exactly did you put in your equation? Maybe it works some way I'm not aware of. As to your double Regen, that often happens with complicated dependencies or where you need a Part within an Assembly to update, but be sure and double check that you have created your features in the right order. Specifically, you want the "straight" curve to come after the "curved" curves and Evaluate feature(s) in the Model Tree. David

"David Butz" wrote:

CM, No, by "FID_" I literally meant FID_. What follows the underscore can be either the name or the ID number. You said you got it to work with the number; what exactly did you put in your equation? Maybe it works some way I'm not aware of. As to your double Regen, that often happens with complicated dependencies or where you need a Part within an Assembly to update, but be sure and double check that you have created your features in the right order. Specifically, you want the "straight" curve to come after the "curved" curves and Evaluate feature(s) in the Model Tree. David

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags