cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

YES/NO Parameter controlling a parts location in an assembly

IanEdwards
1-Newbie

YES/NO Parameter controlling a parts location in an assembly

I have a simple assembly with 2 Co-ordinate systems that are 100mm apart in the Z direction. These are called CS0 and CS1. I now assemble a part by constraining a CSYS in the part to CS0 in my assembly. I want to add a YES/NO parameter to my assembly, so that when parameter = yes, the part is assembled to CS0, and when parameter = no, the part is assemled to CS1. I have tried adding two CSYS contraints, and then ticking/unticking one of them to toggle which is "active" but I would prefer the simplicity of a YES/NO parameter. Regards, Ian
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
(To:IanEdwards)

Does the part have to be constrained to either CS0 or CS1? If not, use a relation to control the 100mm dimension of CS1 and assemble the part to CS1. IF {PARAMETER} == YES {DIMENSION} = 100 ELSE {DIMENSION} = 0 ENDIF Cheers
DavidButz
1-Newbie
(To:)

Ian, The direct option is to assemble the component twice, once to each CSYS. Then bracket the two different occurences of the component in the assembly Program with the appropriate conditional logic. Assuming your YES_NO parameter is called CHOICE, it might look something like: IF CHOICE==YES . . . ENDIF IF CHOICE==NO . . . ENDIF David

Yes the component must be assembled to the co-ordinate system. I used the 100mm offset in the Z direction purely as an example to simplify the problem I have here. The item I am modelling is an automotive driveshaft, which is an assembly of 20(ish) components. I have a requirement for the assembly file to display the components in vehicle position (with both joints articulated) this is for direct interface in the customers master package. But additionally, I also require the model to be assembled (with no articulation) at 0,0,0 position so I can create a 2D technical drawing. I have all the relavent co-ordinate positions available, so I was looking for a method of "toggling" between the two conditions.

Ian Based on your last reply I would look at using a simplified rep or family table. This would allow both locations to be shown and remove a regen from your scheme. Otherwise your assembly is changing every time you change the assembled location, thus adding another iteration if you save. Just a recommendation. Eric
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags