cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

change amount of rails by length parameter

BA_10140001
4-Participant

change amount of rails by length parameter

I am working on a difficult assignment. If I adjust the length with parameters, the number of parts should also be adjusted automatically. Im using it in an assemby enviroment.

Couple:
If I have a length of 10 meters, there should be 4 rails. If the length is 5 meters, there should be only 2 rails. If the length is 15 meters, there should be 6 rails.
I would like to use a pattern and control the numbers of the rails with parameters so that I can use the if and else relations.

Does anyone have an idea how I can do this smartly? I'm using Creo 7 parametric.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is a typical use of relations in an assembly. I'm using Creo 4, but I doubt very much the philosophy behind this type of thing has changed ever in the history of Pro/E -> Creo.

The general method of doing something like this is:

(1) Define your pattern, with a definition that won't "break" if you change the number of components.

(2) Select the pattern and look at its dimensions. One of those is the number of components in the format "XX COMPONENTS".

(3) Click on the XX COMPONENTS dimension and in the ribbon it will tell you the name of that dimension.

(4) Create a relation that uses the "LENGTH" dimension/parameter from your assembly to calculate the number of components (rails) you need, something like:

numRails = ceil ( LENGTH / lengthRail )

The "ceil" is so that your rail count will round up to the next largest integer number. All of the operands in the equation are assumed to have been renamed to something more understandable than the default "d10", "d1234" and the like.

You might even find that you want to define the spacing of the rails using the rail length, so you could change that (use a different standard rail) and have everything automatically update, etc. I really find this sort of thing very helpful in beginning stages of the design. The more stuff I can define so I avoid the "Oh no, I forgot to increase the number of this part when I updated the assembly" errors, the better.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

This is a typical use of relations in an assembly. I'm using Creo 4, but I doubt very much the philosophy behind this type of thing has changed ever in the history of Pro/E -> Creo.

The general method of doing something like this is:

(1) Define your pattern, with a definition that won't "break" if you change the number of components.

(2) Select the pattern and look at its dimensions. One of those is the number of components in the format "XX COMPONENTS".

(3) Click on the XX COMPONENTS dimension and in the ribbon it will tell you the name of that dimension.

(4) Create a relation that uses the "LENGTH" dimension/parameter from your assembly to calculate the number of components (rails) you need, something like:

numRails = ceil ( LENGTH / lengthRail )

The "ceil" is so that your rail count will round up to the next largest integer number. All of the operands in the equation are assumed to have been renamed to something more understandable than the default "d10", "d1234" and the like.

You might even find that you want to define the spacing of the rails using the rail length, so you could change that (use a different standard rail) and have everything automatically update, etc. I really find this sort of thing very helpful in beginning stages of the design. The more stuff I can define so I avoid the "Oh no, I forgot to increase the number of this part when I updated the assembly" errors, the better.

Hi,

see my reply in https://community.ptc.com/t5/Customization/amount-of-holes-by-lenght-of-profile-with-parameters/m-p/777865 discussion. In Assembly mode the solution can be similar ... component pattern + relations.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags