cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

color to holes

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

color to holes

In many companies, and even in industries, there are some "rules" to apply colors to some features, and specially to holes.

Now I paint holes with mapkeys. But if the pattern adds a new instance, the newly created hole needs to be repainted.

T_F_0-1626080032157.png

Any one knows how to replicate the colors of the newly created holes? Any app? Any workflow?

37 REPLIES 37
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:T_F)

As far as I know when I apply appearances to a specific surface that appearance designation is "attached" to a specific surface ID only. If I want that appearance to apply to more surfaces I have to pick all the individual surfaces added to modify them, too. Regrettably, I can't see any way to apply appearances to a feature, which would be pretty nice.

So it seems your only option is the tedious one. Unless someone else knows a cool trick to do this kind of thing...

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I'm afraid of this... Perhaps anyone as a specific toolkit app! Anyone?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Many of us have been asking for something like this for a long time without having to resort to a 3rd party product.  Unfortunately there is still nothing from PTC.  The only solution that I'm currently aware of is SMARTColor by B&W.

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:TomU)

Maybe PTC can add this to CREO like did with other apps, like ifx

pausob
18-Opal

Yes.

Searching for surfaces by feature(s), then applying your colors to the returned selection set.

Not automatic, but way less tedious than picking-by-clicking...

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:pausob)

True, but if I design in top down assemblies, if I add a hole in this part, the plate that has the threaded holes, will add a hole also. So I need to repaint the holes of this plates, and at the same time the threaded holes of the plate, so double tedious work. And if I forgot the holes of the plate, it will be a mistake made by me. It should be parametric

pausob
18-Opal

Of course it should be parametric - so publish your gripes on the product idea forums.

This forum is about work-arounds, not about how things should be 🙂

I notice you have the latest version with multi-body functionality.  I wonder if you could get the colors to stay with the body?  I guess I'm thinking of a work-around where the volume of the holes is modelled in a body that is subtracted away from the main body.  Does that operation preserve the surface colors?

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

Unfortenately no!

two bodies:

T_F_0-1626167104216.png

After the subtract

T_F_1-1626167158326.png

TomU
23-Emerald IV

This concept was discussed extensively on the 'Creo 8 Holes' working group.  Unfortunately the multi-body capabilities aren't currently capable of transferring this color information or any of the other hole related information that would be needed in the downstream part (cosmetic thread, thread series, thread pitch, etc.)

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

Yes I know. I was part of it... I had push hard for that, but nothing. It does look that PTC has another plans besides paint the features.

Please vote the enhancement request, or ideas:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/To-paint-threaded-holes-with-some-color/idi-p/575190#M14481

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

If you did it top-down and set it up correctly, then holes should propagate through all the parts.  Use a skeleton part and reference that geometry.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

You can apply a color to "surfaces" by "feature" using the search tool.  Depending on things, you can also apply color by "intent surfaces".

But if the feature add surfaces, the original color will appear on those surfaces

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

So, repeat the process then when you add surfaces.  Simple.  Using the "intent surfaces" SHOULD do what you want, haven't had a chance to test it, not really a priority.

Yes, but I will need to repaint the new holes again! It simply should be parametric!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

No offense, but what you're trying to do is a very simple, trivial, niche thing, easily and quickly done manually.  In the decades I've been here this is the first time someone wanted it parametric.  Obviously, adding it isn't a priority for PTC, or anyone else.  I'd rather not have them add all that extra code (and attendant bugs) to the the already giant database in place of code many other people would find useful, like, say, fixing the graphics glitch in Creo where cosmetic threads ONLY show up in wireframe.  Or fixing the search tool at the Assembly level.  Or the issue with appearances that don't change when the material changes when replacing family table parts.  REAL functional improvements that NEED to be done.

I respect your opinion. But I, and you can see that there is other users as well, are founding this could be a good enhancement. I won't discusses it with you, because you don't probably need for your work. But as you can see there is people who needs!

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Patriot_1776)

It's really not trivial when you're talking about transferring hundreds of different holes at a time to other components.  This is a very common need in the tool and die industry and it's a royal pain in Creo.  I've tried every possible approach I can think of over the years Creo simply doesn't have the flexibility and control in this area that other CAD packages have (Solidworks and Catia especially).

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Interesting, I've never seen anyone else mention it, I wouldn't have thought it was needed.  Are you talking about simply changing the color of holes or transferring holes between models?  The latter would be a much bigger deal I'd think.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@Patriot_1776 wrote:

Are you talking about simply changing the color of holes or transferring holes between models?

Yes.  🙂   Coloring the holes in the parent model is also important, but the real time killer is transferring (cutting) and then coloring all the holes in the mating parts.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

How many parts are we talking here, 2 parts where there's a clearance hole and maybe counterbore in one and the tapped hole in the other?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

In the designs I was working on each job would have over a hundred different parts that needed to have their fasteners transferred down to their respective mounting plates.  Each part usually required two dowel holes with the corresponding knockout holes and with 4 - 8 threaded holes.  With Catia we could place all of these 'negative' features on a commonly named layer/body and then remove them all in one fell swoop from the mating parts.  Hundreds of fasteners could all be transferred at once.  No need to manually create each hole separately like we have to do in Creo.  (Yes, I've used all manner of UDFs, patterns, copy geom features, etc. in Creo to attempt to speed this up.)

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Interesting, I've never had a need for or seen that, but I can see being easily able to transfer a bunch of holes being a benefit.  I stand corrected, and I'll vote for it.  From the post, it seemed like it was just a matter of changing colors, but transferring geometry makes sense.  I played with it for a bit, and the "search" tool really isn't that intelligent, and the "intent surfaces" only let me collect intent surfaces for one hole in a pattern, not all the surfaces associated with the pattern itself.  Even a part merge/cutout at the assembly lever didn't transfer the color, although it probably would have transferred all the holes if I'd played with it further.  I think you could create a pattern of "pins" representing holes in various parts, and have that propagate thru several parts, the color won't come thru though.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Yep, those are great examples.  The ability to collect all bodies with particular names and then remove them all at once from the selected part is super powerful.  

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

Powerful for templates and for general modelling

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

I assume the following trick is not the solution to your problem ...

• assign magenta color to part
  • assign grey color to all solid surfaces of the part
  • create a hole ... magenta color appears on hole surfaces

Unfortunatelly any material removal displays newly created surfaces in magenta color.

Martin Hanák

That's true!

But I will have a mix a of counterbored holes and pin holes! One is pink another is blue!

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I invite you to vote the idea for this enhancement. Maybe if PTC see a lot of votes, can convert this to an enhancment!

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/To-paint-threaded-holes-with-some-color/idi-p/575190#M14481

Top Tags