cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

family tables and sheet metal parts

ptc-3229625
1-Newbie

family tables and sheet metal parts

I'm trying to create a generic sheet metal part, then create variations of that part in a family table to include different material choices and gauges. Our company has experienced problems during laser cutting. The flats of some parts in mild steel dimension differently than a comparable part in stainless steel. I wanted to assign each instance of a generic part with either STEEL or SS. Problem is, each time I assign that value to a part, it changes all the other parts, too. Is there not a way to achieve my goal?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

You need to add all the materials to the model first in the materials dialog box. Look in the right hand column for "materials in model". Then, add a parameter to the family table. When you do this, a dialog box should come up allowing you to select the PTC_MATERIAL_NAME parameter. Then, in the family table editor, you should be able to see all the materials in the model in a pull down menu in the PTC_MATERIAL_NAME parameter column.

That's exactly what I did. That was the easy part. I was able to assign either STEEL or SS to each instance of the generic part. Where I'm having trouble is maintaining the Y-factor for each material choice (STEEL or SS). I assigned a Y-factor of (.71) to the STEEL material properties, and a Y-factor of (.50) to SS. I thought by doing that, any part in the family table with a chosen material of STEEL would use the (.71) value and vice versa for SS. What I'm seeing is this: which ever value is the most recent propagates to ALL the parts in the family table.
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags