cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

no 3D sweep til Creo 4.0 M020..

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

22 REPLIES 22
whu-2
4-Participant
(To:rohit_rajan)

lbai
4-Participant

The latest info from technical support team, the plan of adding 3D sweep into Creo 4.0 M020 is cancelled, this functionality will be added into Creo 5.0 next year. What a pity for PTC.

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine
(To:lbai)

that is heartbreaking!

The only think which I was looking forward to in Creo 4.0 is not there any more.

3D sweep is a very tough problem to solve in a way that produces accurate geometry. There's a version of it for Solidworks that produces a really ugly result. It's not bad at first glance, but looking closer and it looks like junk.

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine
(To:dschenken)

Solid Edge ST9 has it,NX 11 has it...they have solved it.

As far as solidworks is concerned we are using ...and it works fine !

I've looked and the examples are simple, only working on revolved cutting bodies. ST9 forces cuts to be done with calculated revolutes, aka 'spun bodies'; says so right in the menu pick. Solid Edge ST9 - Solid Sweep - YouTube

Solidworks cautions about making such cuts with any revolute that is not completely convex, though a user showed that one can escape that test by redefining the cutter body after the path is selected but before the cut is complete.

As far as I can tell all three products are Parasolid based and it looks it, so it's not three companies that have figured this out, only one. They depend on being able to make independent bodies within a single part, which Creo doesn't support. This suggests they won't be able to do this trick in the context of an assembly and therefore no chance at all of controlling the swept solid using a mechanism, which would be very handy for back-driving cam creation based on required output.

If PTC does implement it in the assembly mode it would be nice to allow the addition of material to a component part.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

inventor has a plugin that does this as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5OMml4eDg&t=602s

but the main point is PTC has failed to deliver on a promise...

so don't make excuses for them.  maybe it's good that they don't release something that is "sub-optimal", but maybe sub-optimal works just fine for 99% of the cases...

I suppose I just don't get it - isn't this the kind of thing that the cnc machining module has already solved?  Or are their nc simulations just gross approximations?  In which case, just how are people actually using this to produce real parts?

CNC machining simulation is usually for revolute bodies that are convex. I expect the CNC simulation results to be faceted rather than analytical surfaces.

The Inventor add-in only does feed screws and is not a general purpose tool. Here's a different plug-in result showing the chopped surface it produces SolidSweep Feed Srcew - YouTube

I'm still disappointed that Microsoft failed to deliver their Cairo WinFS file system; companies make projections and sometimes determine that things are more difficult than originally estimated.

Are you already using some technique to generate such surfaces? For the simple cases it seems not too difficult to generate the same results with a couple more steps.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

PTC stated that convex-body solid sweeps would be included in Creo 4.0.  And now - it's pushed to the next major release.  And so seeing what other CAD software delivered, I am disappointed (again).

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine
(To:psobejko)

i have a feeling..they don't want to compete with the rivals...i mean they could have released it with M030,M040...etc..but directly next release its painful.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Hasn't PTC said that no major functionality changes will be released with M-versions.

This could be enough of a change that it would have made build interoperability not work due to data structure changes needed within the Creo part file. If it is, then their experimenting should have seen this issue before they announced a Creo4 M020 anticipated release.

lbai
4-Participant

Refer to https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS251133, 3D sweep will added into Creo 5.0, plan for Creo 4.0 is removed

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

...which means Creo 2020.  ...or whatever it will be called by then.

They will have to patch this functionality just like SW did.  Should have better results, though.

KevinLHeureux
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

is this out in Creo 5.0 yet?

KevinLHeureux
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

but not the milling version??? only helical

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:KevinLHeureux)

Nope.  Still working on it.  Maybe Creo 6 or 7.

KevinLHeureux
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

well that is a far cry from Creo 4.........sad

not even basic end mills, flats, bull and ball and tapered? I can understand for form tools. 

this functionality has been needed for a long time. 

At least there is now hope they are actually going to get there. I don't often need 3d solid body sweeps, but when I do, it sure is a heck of a task to make something that is reasonable, especially if the expectation is to use the model for manufacturing.

KevinLHeureux
5-Regular Member

Any word on updates to this post?

as far as PTC Creo 6.0 is concerned its not available.May be they just forgot...he he he

Looks like they still forgot in Creo 8.0 as well......

Top Tags