cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

unbend-problem.PNG

cnorkus
1-Newbie

unbend-problem.PNG

I am having difficulties trying to unbend this sheet metal part. It curves in multiple directions and I've tried to use the Cross Section Driven Unbend with no luck. there are several similar part to this one that I'm having problems with. Any ideas?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:cnorkus)

One discussion about something similar Unbend

From my standpoint, sheetmetal module can't unbend this and give you an accurate flat pattern since it is not a press brake type operation, it's more of a stamping type operation.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

You can force some shapes like this to be flat but Creo doesn't calculate the amount of deformation and material thinning that will happen in the real formed part. The cases I've seen look pretty unrealistic. If you need this sort of thing, you will likely start with a rectangle that is die formed through several steps and is then sheared to final outline.

How would I go about forcing to flat? This is just one small piece of a much larger part that in production will be vacuum formed or roto-molded, but my bosses want a steel version for a "prototype" before they will spend the money on a mold for a plastic one. It does not have to be prefect, just close so I can laser the steel blanks, hand form the pieces and weld together...

dschenken
21-Topaz I

I would not bother. Take the surface to a CNC and have a wooden buck made then take the buck to a skilled sheetmetal former - the sort who does custom automobile or aircraft work.

Like this example: Building a Fender - Part 1 - YouTube

You won't need to do the first part - you already have a model. At the very end he roughs the pattern with kraft paper.

Then comes the magic trick Building a Fender - Part 2 - YouTube

Good day Chris Norkus‌ -

Welcome to PTC Community and thank you for posting this - great stuff!

In the future, best practice is to start this as a discussion and mark it as a question as many members search for unanswered questions 🙂

Thanks again for posting and best of luck within our community; please let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Best,

Toby

Top Tags