cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

working on Stl files

gbon
1-Newbie

working on Stl files

Hi,

I have to work on scanned points cloud.
So, I import point cloud in Wildfire 3 and then I can use it for designing my mechanical parts.
I'm working on human prothesis.

But, when cad work is done, I have to modify my scanned datas (stl file) in order to manufacture them (principaly adding some holes and cuts).
ProE don't let me doing anything on the Stl file.
I can make a Shrinkwrap file but its quality is to poor for manufacturing, even in best level.

So my idea was to make some volumes that I have to cut or add.
Then make Stl file from thoses volumes.

Then I'm expecting to use an other software for
- import my points cloud
- import the volume I have to add
- merge those Stl files
- import the volume I have to cut
- substract this volume of my points cloud

So, I'm wondering if this seems to be possible and then what software could I use for merging and substract volumes.

Thanks,
GB
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Gary,

Without using a translation software, you cannot convert the mesh (*.stl)
file into a surface. I have had some success converting STL files in
SolidWorks to a surface or solid using the ScanTo3D add-in (module).
However, the STL files become "heavy" with tessellated geometry which
requires time and effort to edit the files using SW ScanTo3D add-in.

I have heard that Pro-E has a reverse-engineering module, but I have not
personally used it. There are probably some Pro-E users that could give you
an opinion on their experience using the REXX
(

Gary,

We have used the REX module successfully and my co-worker Steve Norgrove and I presented on its use at the International conference in Dallas a few years ago. Search under either of our names and you will find the presentation.

The tools in REX work well and generating a solid model from scan data is easily done

Mike Brattoli
Top Tags