cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Curves are displayed in an edgy way.

Ramon_Bohne
11-Garnet

Curves are displayed in an edgy way.

Hello all,

I am a newbie here and I am using Creo Illustarte. So I hope that I will ask correctly.

My question:

Sometimes Illustrate displays a curve in an edgy way.

See my attached example. The cap and the O-ring are actually round.

How can I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
agarland
15-Moonstone
(To:Ramon_Bohne)

There is no way to adjust the quality of the 3D shapes in Illustrate, this is defined by the quality of data being imported.

Depending on the format of data you are using and whether it is going through an adapter you may be able to change the settings there to improve the quality of parts you get in illustrate.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

You might need to look at the Appearance settings to make curves look better.

The menu pick is File -> Options -> Appearance -> Entity Display

Look at the settings, I have the Edge display quality set at "Very High", the "best" that can be had.

If that's not what's causing your troubles, further investigation will be needed.

Even with these settings, I still sometimes get wonky curve display, especially with large objects. Though that was when I was using Creo 4.0, and we're now using Creo 9.0, so I'll have to see if that kind of nonsense continues.

@KenFarley 
To be honest, I have a German layout and can't find the setting you mentioned.

But anyway, as @agarland said, this would not be the right solution either.

Following his recommendation, I made some changes to the Creo models of the cap and the o-ring and it worked fine 🙂

So in conclusion it seems to be a problem of the Creo models.

agarland
15-Moonstone

There is no way to adjust the quality of the 3D shapes in Illustrate, this is defined by the quality of data being imported.

Depending on the format of data you are using and whether it is going through an adapter you may be able to change the settings there to improve the quality of parts you get in illustrate.

@agarland 

Thank you for pointing this out.
I revised the two Creo models a bit and then it worked very well.
Thank you very much and best regards
Ramon

-- English --  (Deutsch weiter unten)

Hello users,

unfortunately, I must activate this topic again.

The problem with the angular curves occurs again.

In this case it is like this:

I have a relatively large Creo assembly. From this I am illustrating a situation to describe an assembly. The illustration looks good (fig.1, before).

Subsequently, I need to represent other things that are not part of the assembly. To solve the problem, I add two more larger assemblies to my main assembly in Creo.

And suddenly some parts (not all) are displayed with angular curves (fig.2, afterwards). Parts that were fine before.

It is a mystery to me how this can happen. Does it have to do with the size of the assembly?

And if it has to do with Creo's settings, what would I have to set to make the curves round and not angular?

I really need a solution, I can't use images like this.

-- Deutsch --

Hallo Anwender,

ich muss das Thema leider nochmal aktivieren.

Das Problem mit den kantigen Rundungen tritt wieder auf.

In diesem Fall ist es so:

Ich habe eine relativ große Creo-Baugruppe. Von dieser stelle ich eine Situation dar, um eine Montage zu beschreiben. Die Abbildung siegt gut aus (Bild 1, vorher).

Anschließen muss ich weitere Dinge darstellen, die nicht Bestandteil der Baugruppe sind. Um das Problem zu lösen, baue ich in Creo zwei weitere größere baugruppen in meine Hauptbaugruppe ein.

Und plötzlich werden einige Teile (nicht alle) mit kantigen Rundungen dargestellt (Bild 2, nachher). Teile, die vorher in Ordnung waren.

Es ist mir ein Rätzel, wie das passieren kann. Hat es evtl. mi der Größe der Baugruppe zu tun?

Und wenn es mit mit den Einstellungen von Creo zu tun hat, was müsste ich einstellen, damit die Rundungen rund und nicht kantig dargestellt werden?

Ich brauche dringend eine Lösung, so kann ich die Bilder nicht verwenden.

Bild 1, vorher / fig.1, before:

RamonBohne_2-1666170625343.png

Bild 2, nachher / fig.2, afterwards:

RamonBohne_1-1666170575857.png

vdegaonkar
14-Alexandrite

Hi 

Quick query

- How you are importing data in Creo Illustrate - do you importing direct creo files or export to PVZ and them import in CI? If you are using direct import, I would recommend to use export to PVZ. 

- What is version of Creo are you using ?

- Component where you observe this issue (as shown in above picture), is it something like shrinkwrap in Creo or has extremely large size compared to other components? Usually Size of individual part controls quality of output and not the assembly's size. 

Thank You

Varad

Hello Varad,

here are my answers:

1. I had a big Creo Assembly.asm consits of *.prt and *.asm. I copied this big Assembly.asm to a Desktop-folder. And with Creo-Illustrate I imported the *.asm via "link". No PVZ (do I need this?).

2. We are using Creo 2.0. And we will update to Creo 8.0 the next weeks. Our CI version is 9.0.

3. It's not my model, but it seems to be quite normal part. And yes, it is bigger than other parts, But I have another similar part in the assembly with no problems:

The "problem" part:

RamonBohne_0-1666248134959.png

The "problem" part in the assembly:

RamonBohne_3-1666248388594.png

A similar part in the same assembly with no problems:

RamonBohne_2-1666248353167.png

Thanks and best regards

Ramon.

vdegaonkar
14-Alexandrite

Hi Roman:

Ideally it is better to export to PVZ and then import content in Creo Parametric. With this approach you get more rich content (like multi-bodies, embedded components, model annotations, welds, parameters etc) which you may not get via direct import route. This also impacts if you have assembly feature in which case assembly level geometry modification are stored at assembly and can be of coarser quality. 

In current scenario few things you may want to check: 

1. Have you set edge_display_quality config option? would you please make sure it is set to high/very_high and regenerate model, backup and import back mode in CI. 

2. Save model display quality (refer https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs57120)

Probably this may help

Hello Varad,

thank you for the very important advice. It looks like the crucial point is the PVZ file.

I have always imported Creo *.asm and Creo *.prt into the CI. Now I have saved my entire assembly in Creo as a PVZ file. And voila, the PVZ assembly imported into CI shows no edge defects at all.

RamonBohne_0-1666263435970.png

👍

In this respect, my problem should be finally solved.

Thanks and best regards

Ramon.

Top Tags