cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Fatal Simulate Error due to Memory

nhall
11-Garnet

Fatal Simulate Error due to Memory

My simulate has been suffering from a fatal error when attempting to run an assembly simulation of 9 small parts. Total element count is approximately 128,000 and I am allocating 3 GB of RAM but during the first pass it always fails with the following error:

"The design study terminated abnormally.
An error has occurred while requesting an additional
3.072 gigabytes of memory from the operating system.
To correct this problem, you may need to increase the amount
of swap space on your system.  You may also need to increase
the memory usage limits that are set for your system.
For large problems you can also try decreasing the
solram allocation setting.
At least 21.9693 gigabytes of memory are needed to run this design study."

I have run larger (greater number of elements) models in the past with an identical RAM allocation without error. SOLRAM has been increased after a previous error but that did not solve the issue. I don't quite understand why it won't work so any insight would be gratefully received! 

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:nhall)

3Gb is your problem. Reduce that and you are more likely to have a successful run.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
skunks
18-Opal

hdd.JPG

nhall
11-Garnet
(To:skunks)

HDD.JPG

skunks
18-Opal

please check run settings

rs.JPG

nhall
11-Garnet

And what am I looking for?

skunks
18-Opal

check.JPG

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello Pkloninger-2
I did not understand your answer on the Directory.
Both directories must have the same address.
Cordially.
Denis

Hello Denis,

run settings: C:\ => local HDD ONLY

network is not possible, never!

regards

paul

I believe Pkloninger-2 was referring to the fact that both directories must be stored on an internal drive

skunks
18-Opal

working_directory.JPG

no,

fea working directory is shortly, for example

C:\fe\prj001\

run.JPG

all data (fea) are in folder C:\fe\prj001\

regards

paul

nhall
11-Garnet

So do you mean both have to be in the same folder?

I have run other simulations with different folders previously with success, for example I have just completed a batched simulation with outputs to one folder and the temp to another folder...

skunks
18-Opal

run.JPG

directory C:\Users.. is wrong

better C:\FEA\prj001 (for example)

nhall
11-Garnet

I see what you mean but I don't understand how. Surely putting it a folder down won't make a difference because it is still located in the C-drive?

skunks
18-Opal

folder C:\Users is restricted

nhall
11-Garnet

I see. I shall run it over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello,
When we set the working directory, the path will automatically be as in the example of pkloninger: C: \ fe \ prj001 \
Cordially.
Denis

nhall
11-Garnet

Just checked the results using the folder directly in the C: Drive and I have the exact same failure Smiley Frustrated

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Do you have contact surfaces? If so can you model them another way? Contact surfaces eat up huge amounts of memory due to the iterative nature of the problem solving.

You can also try decreasing the 128 Mb to something smaller. This will cause the analysis to take longer to run but it will decrease the amount of swap space needed. That being said, 128 Mb is already pretty small. I usually run my analyses closer to 2 Gb.

nhall
11-Garnet
(To:Chris3)

I do have contact surfaces. A total of eight in fact. I am actually running at 3 Gb, the element count is 128,000. I could try running it at 1Gb and see if it fails with a similar error, just scaled down though.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

3Gb is your problem. Reduce that and you are more likely to have a successful run.

nhall
11-Garnet

Okay, I shall give that a go overnight and see what we get.

Thanks @Chris3

nhall
11-Garnet

Ran it on 512MB over the past few days and appears to be the solution. It managed to run 69 iterations of what I assume is the contact analysis before Windows auto-installer re-booted and failed the run! Prior to that I haven't even been able to get it to that stage. Thanks Chris!

nhall
11-Garnet

Yep, clear on that front...

directory.JPG

Top Tags