cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

How do you make a rope wrap around and pull an object using gears?

sarias
1-Newbie

How do you make a rope wrap around and pull an object using gears?

Hi friends,

I am trying to make a manual log splitter using gears and springs. My plan is to wind a wedge back onto a spring using 3 gears and rope or wire ( anything that will get the job done really). I have posted a image and files. I am a student and just started using this software any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thank you!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:sarias)

This can be done with a free-body diagram. The model probably won't be good enough to determine contact or tooth bending loads, but those are handled with conventional formulas available in gear design books.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mbonka
15-Moonstone

Hello Sebastian,

personally don´t think you need to model rope. It´s just "cosmetic part". l´m going to skip this part, but if l have to model it (from rendering reasons), try following:

First options:

- create the warp part as a "spring" (HOW TO CREATE EXTENSION SPRING IN CREO2.0 - YouTube) --- rope part that is wraped on wheel

- create a straight part of rope and use flexible function (mastering creo by exampels 45(mass-spring-damper system) - YouTube time 6:00) --- straight rope part from wheel to the end is flexible.

Second options:

- try to define 3d sketch and use sweep feature

Can´t advice better

Regards Milan

sarias
1-Newbie
(To:mbonka)

Is there a way to pull the wedge back when i turn the gears? I dont need the rope i just need the wedge to move as the gears move. The reason i want this is so that i can analyze the stress on the gears due to having to pull the wedge back onto the spring.

Thank you

dschenken
21-Topaz I

This can be done with a free-body diagram. The model probably won't be good enough to determine contact or tooth bending loads, but those are handled with conventional formulas available in gear design books.

Top Tags