cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to apply constraints to weighted / rigid links in large deformation nonlinear analysis

peter_goodman
2-Guest

How to apply constraints to weighted / rigid links in large deformation nonlinear analysis

Hi,

What I'm trying to do is:

• use a single dependent node linked to one or more surfaces with a rigid constraint, to enable a set of displacement constraints (or freedoms, or prescribed displacements) at the dependent node, for use with boundary constraints or guided movements in large deformation nonlinear analysis. The specific application is for calculating plastic force-displacement characteristics.
  • the same, but with weighted links, for cases where I don't want to overly constrain components around the constraint

Are either of these things possible in a nonlinear large deformation analysis? What are the workarounds I need to do?

I'm aware of the workaround using a spring or beam for Creo Simulate's limitation of not being able to apply a constraint to the dependent node of a weighted link as described here: Rigid link versus weighted link - PTC Community  However I've found that if I try to use a beam or a spring in a nonlinear large deformation analysis it tells me I can't use them, so I'm a bit stuck on how to proceed.

Also a general question. When I'm trying to find information in the documentation about limitations of features with different types of analysis, I can't seem to find anything. So I end up having to find out what options work together by trial and error. Have I overlooked a section in the documentation which explains this stuff? Or is there some trick to navigating the documentation to find detailed explanations of the different features and limitations of their use?

Thanks, Pete.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

but not possible with weighted links

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

little example att.

test2 att.

finer mesh

but not possible with weighted links

Hi Skunks, thanks for looking at this and the provided example. I must have made a mistake with my test model as I thought I'd setup that model as per what you've done in your example. Revisiting that model it does work, so that's really good. Shame there's no workaround for weighted links in this type of analysis.

Thanks again, Pete.

Top Tags