cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Quick .SEC cut through a solid model or solid model import

ptc-3872989
1-Newbie

Quick .SEC cut through a solid model or solid model import

Hello,

I'm looking for some help on creating a .SEC file.

I have an imported (no reference geometry, or feature tree) solid model from a customer. What I need to do is create a section cut of the model, through a particular plane. I will then use that particular .SEC file to create other part models.

I DO NOT want to start an assembly, and then create the new part in the assembly. That method creates far too many "link" headaches within my system at work.

The only method I know of right now is to create a plane, start a sketch on that plane, and use the "USE" function. The "USE" function (in my opinion) is very temperamental though. Especially if you try to use the "LOOP" function.

I'm coming from CATIA where there is such a thing as a "CUT" function. You pick a plane, and then pick a solid, and the system creates a sketch of the intersection between them.

I'm looking for something like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-3872989)

Please see the video in the following link for a possible solution.

From xsec to curve to .sec.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
David_M
5-Regular Member

Pro/E does have an Intersect function which works in teh same way. Edit > intersect.

It creates a Curve though, not a Sketch.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Please see the video in the following link for a possible solution.

From xsec to curve to .sec.

Thank you both very much for the guidance.

Using the intersect function, or creating a curve from a section cut gives me what I need without dealing with the inconsistencies of the “USE” function.

Thanks again!

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

I'm glad you found a solution. Remember, you're not going to have a parametric link when you begin inserting that .sec file into sketches. You said you did not want use an assembly method, but it would achieve a parametric link if needed.

By the way, where is the "USE" function located?

Those parametric links cause headaches for us sometimes when we try to revise an uploaded part, so I like to just keep them out. I always show the .SEC files I base new geometry off of as construction lines... so people always know how the part was designed.

The "USE" function is what you showed in your video. Maybe I shouldn't call it "USE"... it’s the "use edge" function in sketch. It’s useful... but it never really works well for me when I try to project surfaces. I have the most success with it when I try to use an "edge" and the "edge" needs to be right on the sketching plane. Then it works... but rarely do I get something that works out that pretty.

Your method gives me exactly what I need. Thanks again.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Got it! I hadn't realized that was the name for that tool. For converstaion's sake, I think it should be TRACE.

Top Tags